Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cat parasite causes psychiatric symptoms in humans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat parasite causes psychiatric symptoms in humans?

We may finally have an explanation for LLC

A parasitic microbe commonly found in cats might have helped shape entire human cultures by manipulating the personalities of infected individuals.

Scientists estimate that the parasite has infected about 3 billion people, or about half of the human population. Studies by researchers in the Czech Republic have suggested T. gondii might have subtle but long-term effects on its human hosts. The parasite is thought to have different, and often opposite effects in men versus women, but both genders appear to develop a form of neuroticism called "guilt proneness."

Other studies have also found links between the parasite and schizophrenia. T. gondii infection is known to damage astrocytes, support cells in the brain that are also affected during schizophrenia. Pregnant women with high levels of antibodies to the parasite are also more likely to give birth to children who will develop the disorder.

In light of such studies, Lafferty wondered whether high rates of T. gondii infection in a culture could shift the average personality of its individuals.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I always knew cats were evil.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Doh! that was SUPPOSED to be our secret weapon.

Doc; the truth is more evil an sinistar than you might think... look what happened to the last person who tried to understand. SD used to be tall, blond, blue eyed and smart. After me he now short, brown, hairy and dyslexic.

DOn't say i didn't warn you, the truth is I used to be *gasp* a thespian!

Despite its association with neuroticism, Lafferty doesn't think all of the cat parasite's effects on human culture are bad.

"After all, they add to our cultural diversity," he said
      now how is that for multiculterism
      Last edited by lowlifecat; 3 August 2006, 20:19.
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Don't tell KvH
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

on a more serious note; just how many diseases are there out there that have jumped to humans because of domestication?
          /meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Quite a few, plus there are ~ 200 "zoonotic" infections that can be transferred one way or another and ~75% of the harmful organisms and viruses identified in the past 25 years are thought to have "jumped" from animals to humans.

ex: chimps (HIV, by way of the monkeys they eat), bats (West Nile, SARS, Coronavirus, Marburg and Ebola) etc.

Many conditions are a combination of a persons genetic predisposition and their bodies immune response to a foreign organism, some of which are zoonotic..
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 August 2006, 22:31.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

On a more mundane note, our vet told us that cats are the major vector for ringworm. Most of them display no symptoms but simply carry the fungus spores in their fur. A study revealed that 98% of cats carry spores, which can (and do) infect other species, including man. Only about 5% of the cats actually have a detectable ringworm mycosis. However, there is also a school developing that there are three varieties of ringworm, possibly mutated, one of which only is detectable in the standard fluorescence test in the fruiting stage. Researchers are currently studying the DNA.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
              X