X-rays reveal Archimedes secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-rays reveal Archimedes secrets

A series of hidden texts written by the ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes are being revealed by US scientists.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

damn, my caffienation factor must be a little low, i read the title as 'X-rays reveal Archmage secrets'

where's that expresso machine.
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Wow! Now that is impressive! Was parchment so hard to find back then that they had to recycle ancient text??
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

It could be depending on whether or not there was a shortage of meat (thus skins); not all animal skin types lent themselves to being made into parchment.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
            Wow! Now that is impressive! Was parchment so hard to find back then that they had to recycle ancient text??
            Paper making didn't really make it to Europe until the 12th century. They had old Egyptian forms of papyrus and parchments made from animal skins, but anything of high quality was very precious (remember, most commodities back then were guild controlled, which meant price control and client control). Even the Declaration of Independence was written on skin parchment. Paper didn't really become commonplace until the 19th century in the western world when industrialization made making paper cheap.

My wife and I were bored one night and saw some PBS special about Chinese technology and how they had quality paper making abilities nearly a millennia before Europe. The Chinese really could have ruled the world and built an empire that would have put Rome to shame if they weren't too busy killing each other to conquer the barbarians.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

@Jammrock

From everything I've read and heard, China's sudden technological stupor has nothing to do with their in-fighting. China was unified way before Europe. The relative peace is actually one possible theory for stagnation. Europe having much more strife and competition forced people to develop new things to stay ahead.

Another theory is that the Asian countries grew too fast. With so many people able to work it was impractical to invent new technologies to reduce labor. Working harder instead of smarter, which is the opposite of how things were before when China was way ahead of the curve.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                @Jammrock

From everything I've read and heard, China's sudden technological stupor has nothing to do with their in-fighting. China was unified way before Europe. The relative peace is actually one possible theory for stagnation. Europe having much more strife and competition forced people to develop new things to stay ahead.

Another theory is that the Asian countries grew too fast. With so many people able to work it was impractical to invent new technologies to reduce labor. Working harder instead of smarter, which is the opposite of how things were before when China was way ahead of the curve.
                Interesting. I was only commenting and paper and China being so advanced, but the history lesson was nice. I think China could have made the largest, both land and population wise, empire ever if they were adventurous and mean enough. But China of old was really a bunch of loose kingdoms and didn't really form the way we know it until ... the 1800's I believe.

Had they been unified back in their Song dynasty days, including the invading mongols for good measure, when the rest of the world was suffering from the dark ages they could have ruled everything between the Pacific and Atlantic ocean. They had the most advanced warfare tactics and tech, most advanced general technology, navy, and lots and lots of canon fodder. That's just a fantasy of course, but it would be an interesting alternate reality.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X