Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with eTVs mpg2 files

Hi everybody...

I was just wondering which kind of tools you are using to handle theese mp2 files...

Before eTV I used mediastudio - and it was quite fast because it used the matrox mjpg codec. but now it takes lotsa time to save back the mpg2 file (and I just wanted to cut off beggining and end of my tv capture)...

so, as a eTV newbie I have the following questions:
    - how to edit (trim) the file
    - why is my winoncd SVCD profile not accepting this mpg2 files
    - any way to get mp1 files captured instead of mpeg2?

thanks a lot,

papick

You can trim them in TMPGEnc, but only with a restricted choice of parameters. Ex: MPEG-2 is limited to VBR and not the CBR the eTV's files are saved as.

Speaking of which, these are the MPEG parameters of the SP captures done with the eTV. This should help set up your software;

GOP sequence;

IBP @ I=1, P=3, B=2

Audio: 384 kbps @44.1khz/16 bit

Video:

Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML CBR
    Aspect ratio: 4:3 Generic
    Framerate: 29.97 (NTSC)
    Nom. bitrate: get this from BitRateView or the MSPro/VS Insert Video File/Info dialog.
    VBV buffer size: 112
    Field topfirst: No
    Frame type: Progressive

If you want to use interlaced video (less aliasing, better TV compatability) then apply the following RegKey to change GoMotions setting. Make SURE you back up the original registry settings first;

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ligos\GoMotion Interlaced]
    "FieldOrder"=dword:00000000
    "Interlaced"=dword:00000001

WinOnCD is likely choking on the frame size, audio bitrate or the lack of interlace. SVCD has looser parameters than VCD, but not that loose. TMPGEnc should be able to do the conversion.

A better alternative is to capture MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 to order using VideoStudio. If you have upgraded to VS5, its latest update patch and also have the Ulead DVD Plugin installed you can capture using VCD or SVCD presets so no conversions are necessary. The plugin also installs the latest GoMotion update so the quality is also improved over the standard GoMotion installation.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 19 June 2001).]

Comment

Hi

For what it's worth, I use it & think VS5 would be the way to go for simple cutting/trimming of your mpeg2 files, but doc already said that.

I do want to add: before you put da money down, don't expect the speed you were used to in MSP with mpeg1 avi's. Those Matrox hardware encoded files were just a string of pictures, & now you're in a new ballgame where the only pictures you've got are spread out, so the software has to figure out what goes where, & what goes in between after you've done the editing. On the bright side though, your caffiene intake might go down since you don't have to wait for the mpeg1 to mpeg2 conversion.

mike

Comment

Many thanks - i will try the registry patch...

I have Mediastudio VE 6.0 and Media Cleaner 5 - but I still do my capturing through the PCVCR software (timed records - mostly when I am not at home...) - and as far as I can imagine I cannot "programm" VS5 to start capturing at a given time, or is it possible?
        I would love to do timed capturing, trimming and burning the (S)VCD as easy as possible...
        Then I could watch the film downstairs on my DVD/TV...
        Do you know any software automating this kind of job?

brgds,

papick

Comment

Hi

I'm not familiar with it enough to say for sure, but re: scripting or automating some of this stuff, you might strike gold looking into Avisynth http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/avisynth.html

Seems folks have taught it quite a few amazing tricks. I have also come across 3rd party programs that let you do some time based stuff.

In my personal experience though, and this may be an isolated situation because of my poor cable wireing, I get noticably better results if I use the trusty VCR to do the timer recording stuff, or any original recording for that matter. Then do the captureing later from tape.

What happens is that direct HD recording, using s-vhs from the digital cable decoder, tends to be washed out, with very poor saturation. HD recording the same stuff from tape, everything is much more alive, with the side benefit of some nice audio compression.

At any rate check it out -- you might find that's the way for you to go as well.

RE; getting it on CD in the easiest possible manner... If you intend playback only on PCs, my vote would go to capturing direct into Real or Win media. A quick, 2 or 3 line autorun.inf file in the CD's root will call up the necessary player, so it's really close to an encode and 1 click burn situation.

Hope that might give you an idea or three
          mike

Comment

Working...
          X