Quiet SuperSonic Transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet SuperSonic Transport

Science news and long reads from expert journalists, covering developments in science, technology, health and the environment on the website and the magazine.

Supersonic civilian airplanes could return to the air by 2013, if plans for a new 12-seater business jet come to fruition.

The aviation industry publisher Jane's reports that a consortium called Supersonic Aerospace International (SAI), based in Nevada, US, has commissioned aerospace contractor Lockheed Martin to design a supersonic airplane, named the Quiet Supersonic Transport (QSST).

SAI is confident it can raise the investment needed to develop the plane. The consortium estimates there is a market for 300 QSSTs worldwide and Lockheed Martin's vice president of research Frank Cappuccio believes there are no roadblocks ahead for the technology. He told Jane's the QSST has a "100% chance" of success.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That is sweet. Wonder what the range will be... Nice for share holders, and employees to able to see where their dividends / christmas bonus is going..

Concorde was Mach 2?

Comment

Interesting...
      France and Japan are also working on a large supersonic jet:

Originally posted by Fluff
      Concorde was Mach 2?
      Yes...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Didn't think that the body temperatures were that much at Mach 2!

I'd hate to think what the temperatures at Mach 5.5 for the Japan French plane.

Comment

Don't know about that particular design Doc, the canard wings may cause extra drag on the jet, so essentially there is more drag from three wings, than the usual two, which is why I think it cannot reach great speeds

On the possitive side however, they may provide more stability at higher speeds, especially at supersonic speeds.

Hey but what do I know, I hope this solution becomes a success.

Regards,
          Elie
          Last edited by Elie; 28 July 2006, 07:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
            Don't know about that particular design Doc, the canard wings may cause extra drag on the jet, so essentially there is more drag from three wings, than the usual two, which is why I think it cannot reach great speeds

On the possitive side however, they may provide more stability at higher speeds, especially at supersonic speeds.

Hey but what do I know, I hope this solution becomes a success.

Regards,
            Elie
            Canards work fine in supersonic jets, as proven by the Eurofighter, SAAB, I.A.I (Israel), Mirage, Sukhoi and MIG. That extra stability is a plus, esp. in a passenger plane.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X