Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricoh: Blu-ray, HD DVD, CD and DVD optics

Sounds like DVD +/- R ALL OVER AGAIN.

The Buzz: The war between Blu-ray and HD DVD over high-definition disc formats rages on, with no sign yet that either camp will throw in the towel. But thanks to some new optics developed by Ricoh, you might not have to choose between the two. The Ricoh design enables a single drive to read Blu-ray discs, HD DVDs, CDs, and DVDs--by using a special diffraction plate that lets the drive focus its laser at the different depth each disc uses. That's a welcome bit of technology in a format battle that seems to be growing more unsettled by the day. The first players on both sides have shipped, but Sony recently delayed its stand-alone Blu-ray player until late October. And if it can't get the player ready until then, how can the Blu-ray-equipped PlayStation 3 possibly... Ah, never mind.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yes, but how expensive will the pick up be? If they can get the price down to say, $250 for an all-in-one read/write 5.25" drive in the next 2 years I'll be all over that. Until then I'll sit back and let the HD war battle itself out in the marketplace.

This also means that an HTPC could become be the ideal HD format player, since it would truly universal for all prerecorded and streaming media.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I completely agree. I checked the price of HTPC cases recently and was pleasantly suprised that several nice ones were < $150. Margie really likes the Thermaltake Tenor VB2000 @ $80 USD but I'm partial to the Thermaltake Bach. Any street word on them?

Thermaltake Tenor VB2000

Thermaltake Bach
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 July 2006, 09:50.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Why is every case Thermaltake make a rip off of a Coolermaster or Silverstone Tek model
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

'cause they're cool?

I must admit the Silverstone LC18 looks very nice, but that $600 price tag's an issue;

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
            Why is every case Thermaltake make a rip off of a Coolermaster or Silverstone Tek model
            look at the other stuff ThermalTake makes. imho their 'innovation' team is led by a team of design copiers.

Comment

Haven't you heard that "Reverse Engineering Tech." is a Masters program now?
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Haven't you heard that "Reverse Engineering Tech." is a Masters program now?
                ahhh so that's where all the chinese students attend at

Comment

Working...
                X