Dual core question wrt games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual core question wrt games.

If we have a Dual core processor and dual head graphics card, and a multi channel sound card.

Would it be possible have a 2 players playing a game on one pc? With each player looking at one monitor each and each having their own controller? E.g. Doom 3 etc.

Just like split screen but split monitor.

Each player would get their own sound through headphones (front -> player 1) (rear-. player 2), each have their own controller.

Could be a bit more sociable than watching your friend play.

2 people playing a multiplayer combat flight sim, pilot and copilot.

Just an idea.

Same goes for office / internet browsing.
    Last edited by Fluff; 26 July 2006, 05:42.

Not unless the game specifically supported it.
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

It would be really good for laptops (maybe not for games but office etc). You pay a little extra to Microsoft, and you get the option of plugging an external screen and keyboard into the laptop and get another user session. Surely it's just programming.

Can this already be done?

Comment

i think it should be possible using virtualization with some minor tweaking and a major performance hit.
        /meow
        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
        Asus Striker ][
        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I seem to remember a MB specifically designed to have the PC be shared by two people simultaneously. Gigabyte? Had a special BIOS. I think the issue is that you need a way to ensure both get as close to half of the resources as possible and support for two mice and KB to work in seperate apps .
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

what llc said.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.

Umf, is that what you remember?

Would have thought with the architecture of the 4x4 systems. With each CPU having it's own memory. And each northbridge having its own PCiex16 bus. Should almost be identical to running two pc's of half spec side by side with regards to gaming.

Comment

I would think it possible in any OS that supports multiple sessions with a server-based multiplayer game. This is how'd I'd attempt it in Linux.

1) I log in as me
                2) Open up another login (in Linux I get a windowed session, remote desktop on Windows?)
                3) Move the new login to the other monitor
                4) I run game server and use controller 1
                5) Other person logs in on second session
                a. Person 2 runs game using controller 2
                b. Person 2 connects to localhost server
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                  I would think it possible in any OS that supports multiple sessions with a server-based multiplayer game. This is how'd I'd attempt it in Linux.

1) I log in as me
                  2) Open up another login (in Linux I get a windowed session, remote desktop on Windows?)
                  3) Move the new login to the other monitor
                  4) I run game server and use controller 1
                  5) Other person logs in on second session
                  a. Person 2 runs game using controller 2
                  b. Person 2 connects to localhost server
                  Interesting workaround for the video card not really supporting multiplayer.

But again, the problem is making sure that both people get roughly half the CPU time, and I doubt it would happen in this scenario.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah I was wondering how it'd handle the load. One game would probably be much slower than the other, although maybe with 'nice' it would balance better, but that's a Unix thing.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I also remember some PCI card that had VGA, sound, mouse and keyboard connectors. With some software it allowed the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X