In-flight rearming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-flight rearming

Science news and long reads from expert journalists, covering developments in science, technology, health and the environment on the website and the magazine.

In-flight rearming

The US Air Force's research lab in New York is developing a system will allow fighter planes to be rearmed, as well as refuelled, in mid-flight.

A supply plane, such as a C-141 or C-17 would incorporate a telescopic boom that extends from its rear. This boom would boast its own miniature wings, to give it stability and lift while deployed. And mounted on top would be a looped conveyor belt to move bombs and missiles from the supply plane to the boom's end.

A fighter plane could then fly over the boom until optical sensors confirm that the weapons below are aligned and can be snatched up.

The Air Force's patent application reveals political motivations for the plan. It says that some nations are reluctant to provide access to bases for refuelling and rearming. "The nations of Europe, for example, lying closer as they do to areas of turmoil such as the Middle East, are often reluctant to take hard stances against terrorists who lie within an automobile ride from their borders," it reads.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Impressive technology...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I suppose it says something about where my mind is, as well as the font size on my monitor, that I read this title and thought it was about "in-flight REAMING". And I was like "why would someone getting chewed out in the air be in the science & military forum?"
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Sounds tricky - when you consider the extra weight that will probably be required to house the 'intelligent' mountings.
        the arming of munitions and the accuracy required in lining up with the convayer belt are also issues that spring to mind.
        and instability in the host craft moving munitions inflight.

It would have to be a fairly confident pilot who would let live munitions be fastened to his plane while in the air and travelling at 400 mph. At least with inflight refuelling, you are dealing with a fluid which can relatively easily be managed.

Does this also mean that pilots will be expected to remain inflight for longer, maybe for several sorties in one flight? Sales of proPlus will rocket!
        Landing back on a carrier after a 10 hour multi part mission would be shakey, to say the least.

Sounds like a bad deal for the combat pilot, especially after the recient press about Pilot fateague and the controvocy over pilots using amphetamines to stay awake and responsive in teh cockpit.
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRed
          Sounds tricky - when you consider the extra weight that will probably be required to house the 'intelligent' mountings.
          the arming of munitions and the accuracy required in lining up with the convayer belt are also issues that spring to mind.
          and instability in the host craft moving munitions inflight.
          Not so bad compared to my dad having to climb into the open bomb bay of a B29 to insert the final chunk of HE into an abomb to arm it.
          That was just the way it was done
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

HE is pretty stable stuff. It becomes twitchy only in the presence of a stron shock wave from a detonator etcv.

RR;

With airfoils at the end of the boom & computer linkup, proximity radar/lidar etc. between it and the receiving aircraft I can see it being very stable.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              With airfoils at the end of the boom & computer linkup, proximity radar/lidar etc. between it and the receiving aircraft I can see it being very stable.
              Yep.
              The sudden change in weight would probably be the most difficult thing: when the weapons are attached, and they suddenly are supended in the plane, the plane would have to create more lift. Additionally, there is the possible shift in center of gravity, but I wouldn't be suprised if the weapons are positioned such that it doesn't make a big difference (like it is done with the fuel tanks in general aviation).
              In refuelling, the weight change is more continuous, and aided by the flexible hose. No doubt it is doable, but tricky.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Oh I don't think it will be that difficult at all.
                Remember modern fighters are inherently unstable and can only fly at all because the flight control computer can adjust the flight surfaces hundereds or thousands of times a second.

This just adds a bit to somethiing it is already doing.
                Last edited by cjolley; 26 July 2006, 09:19.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

eYup. Fly-by-wire lets you do all manner of things that would otherwise turn you into a lawn dart.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                  X