Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD-ATI redux

Reuters;

PHILADELPHIA, July 21 (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc., the No. 2 supplier of computer processors, is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc. for $5.5 billion, a source familiar with the situation said on Friday.

Any such deal would shake up the processor industry, which is witnessing a battle over market share between AMD and larger rival Intel Corp.

ATI is one of two major graphics chips makers, along with rival Nvidia Corp., and is a big supplier of chipsets -- the cluster of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor -- to both AMD and Intel.

Unless talks break down, a deal could be announced as early as Monday, the source said.
    Financial Times;
    Advanced Micro Devices is near to buying the Canadian graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies for around $5.5bn, according to people close to the deal.

Any agreement would represent a major gamble by AMD to put itself on a level footing with its bigger rival Intel, which makes its own graphics chips.
    NVIDIA stocks down 7.5%
    ATI stocks up 6%
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 July 2006, 23:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

AMD stock is down because they had lower than expected revenue for the last quester, because people stopped buying AMD in anticipation of Core 2 and the price drops that would come from the current CPU war.

ATi stock is up becuase AMD is rumored to be paying more than ATi is worth

Here's an interesting comment on the merger from outspoken founder of VoodooPC:

Read writing from Rahul Sood on Medium. Every day, Rahul Sood and thousands of other voices read, write, and share important stories on Medium.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

From your link;

I am going out on a limb – I, like many others, believe this deal is imminent and I am offering up my reasons why I believe this deal makes sense.

As many of you know I have always said that ATi is a target for acquisition, and I truly believe they are a diamond hidden deep in the rough – and with a little bit of polishing this acquisition will go down in history as the best move that AMD ever made. ATi + AMD = a go big strategy that will shake the very foundation of our industry.
      >
      AMD has some great platform solutions slated for next year, including server, workstation, notebook, etc. I can’t get into too many details, but in my mind AMD + ATi = one large company with the potential of becoming a massive juggernaught. Any debt that AMD incurs to make this transaction a reality will be short lived. The long term outlook on AMD is unbelievable if this deal is approved – this company will go big, and those along for the ride are going to reap huge rewards.

As usual, initial reactions to change are always negative - but long term thinkers who truly understand the technology will tell you this deal is the one way that AMD can turn the tides in their favor.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I honestly believe this is going to hurt the PC industry in the long run. And I think it honestly could wind up really damaging ATI or AMD in the process.

all personal views on ATI's graphics and chipset platforms aside...

the *only* benefit it would produce is finally having a company that is large enough to rival Intel.

The bad side is that the industry does *not* need another Intel. It does not need single-company computing platforms, it does not need more proprietary technologies and it does not need another juggernaut.

AMD has survived this long by being the little guy - by being faster and smaller and able to adapt to the market easier. Manuever warfare. This move would put them square into Intel's path and take away the few advantages that they had to stay alive.

on a side note: I think their embedded platform would actually benefit the most from an aquisitioin. far more so than the PC platform would.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
          the *only* benefit it would produce is finally having a company that is large enough to rival Intel.
          I think that it's not only to rival Intel but also Apple. They doesn't use very many nVidia gpu's in their laptops.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

This REALLY pisses me off, this means the consumer might lose the ability to mix and match AMD/Intel and nVidia/ATI. And who knows what this will mean for the console world in a few years when the NEXT gens come out - do you think AMD would let the consoles use an ATI card if they are using an IBM cpu? Then we will see Intel buy nVidia, and everything will be less and less customizable, and we will all end up with pre-built machines. Then eventually either Intel or AMD will outright win, there will be a total monopoly, and then Microshaft will buy out the winner, buy out the country, and then the world. Bill Gates will reassume power and become the ruler of the galaxy. Physical activity will drop to an alltime low as he forces people to only play computer based games, the people will end up becoming weak and unhealthy and will be totally unable to repel an invading alien force who will then wipe out our species.
            AMD buying ATI will bring about the end of the world.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

LOL, it's a possibility.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                I think that it's not only to rival Intel but also Apple. They doesn't use very many nVidia gpu's in their laptops.
                Apple is more of a non-issue. They rely on other companies platforms to produce their products. AMD would sell to them in a heartbeat if they actually had a platform that Apple was seriously interested. At this point they cannot offer the sort of platform that Apple would be interested in, although a merger could change that.

Biggest thing I see is it causing more stagnation in the PC industry. not a good thing.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Biggest thing I see is it causing more stagnation in the PC industry. not a good thing.
                  You mean besides the end of the world right?
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

It's officially official. Directly from AMD:

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

As much as I hate to say it, well hasn't that been happening already? The demand for high end video cards will wane as time goes on (how many high end video game releases do you see for the PC each year? Less then 4-6 a year, if your lucky, due to consoles taking the gaming market over (due to thats where the money is at)....

Then add in that CPU's are starting to hit major brickwalls in the speed deptartment, forcing CPU makers to goto multicore units that dont add all that much more in performance...well you know how it goes..
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                        This REALLY pisses me off, this means the consumer might lose the ability to mix and match AMD/Intel and nVidia/ATI. And who knows what this will mean for the console world in a few years when the NEXT gens come out - do you think AMD would let the consoles use an ATI card if they are using an IBM cpu? Then we will see Intel buy nVidia, and everything will be less and less customizable, and we will all end up with pre-built machines. Then eventually either Intel or AMD will outright win, there will be a total monopoly, and then Microshaft will buy out the winner, buy out the country, and then the world. Bill Gates will reassume power and become the ruler of the galaxy. Physical activity will drop to an alltime low as he forces people to only play computer based games, the people will end up becoming weak and unhealthy and will be totally unable to repel an invading alien force who will then wipe out our species.
                        AMD buying ATI will bring about the end of the world.
                        LOL
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Is this the start of general purpose PC redux?

Comment

Working...
                          X