WGA snaffu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGA snaffu.

In what has to be the funniest WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) snaffu of all times, Microsoft tagged Paul Thurrott's copy of Windows MCE2005 as pirated! The man has an MSDN universal subscription, and he still got tagged as a pirater.

Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges

For those who don't know who he is, Paul Thurott owns and operated winsupersite.com and is one of Microsoft's biggest proponents on the web. Oh, the irony!
    Last edited by Jammrock; 21 July 2006, 10:15. Reason: title
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Guess that should shut anyone up who still thought WGA was harmless.

It's this sort of thing that has pushed me further and further from MS over the years. Which is something considering I was firmly invested in MS technologies and certifications no more than three years ago.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

If I could run my games on another OS without any drop in performance or any kind of emulator then I'd switch and never use MS products ever again cause games are the only reason I still use windows. Now if I was a little richer, then I'd buy a MacBook Pro, cause that would solve that problem. Windows for games, OSX for EVERYTHING else.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

stop the presses!

from slashdot:
        "Last week Slashdot ran an article regarding the trouble Paul Thurrott had with WGA. It turns out that after talking to Microsoft, he was actually running a pirated version of Windows, legitimately purchased from an online vendor. Paul admits that 'the truth is, I just made a mistake. If we learn something from that mistake, fantastic, but I wasn't trying to set up a life lesson for anyone, let alone myself.'"
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Ya'know... I'm not horribly suprised about that. This is the sort of reporting that got him kicked out of the Microsoft Tech Beta programs.

He is a shitty reporter and is *only* where he is right now because he knows people in MS. Thats it.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

After I found this I sent the article out to a friend in tier 3. He said that 512 computers on our network are showing up as pirated copies, all of which should 1) not have WGA installed, and 2) use our companies volume license key. So WGA is still screwed up, but then again, we already knew that.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X