Opera... EEEK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera... EEEK!

So I fire up Opera last night, and what do I see?

ALL MY BOOKMARKS ARE GONE.

And there's no opera6.adr.bak or opera6.bak, it just overwrote the opera6.adr!

And of course in NTFS when a file is opened, blanked, and then overwritten... you can't undelete it, even with the best of programs.

So now they're all gone.

Of all the Opera bugs I've endured... this is it. I'm back to IE, maybe IE7 won't break me the way Opera and Firefox have.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Odd ... the same thing happened to me about two days ago. I don't have a lot of bookmarks so I thought little of it at the time.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wonder why this never happens to me. Every thing including the history and the pages that I had open are there on first run. Certainly can't be an Opera problem.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        So I fire up Opera last night, and what do I see?

ALL MY BOOKMARKS ARE GONE.

And there's no opera6.adr.bak or opera6.bak, it just overwrote the opera6.adr!

And of course in NTFS when a file is opened, blanked, and then overwritten... you can't undelete it, even with the best of programs.

So now they're all gone.

Of all the Opera bugs I've endured... this is it. I'm back to IE, maybe IE7 won't break me the way Opera and Firefox have.
        yup, imo the major shortcoming of Opera: a proper upgrade procedure. I've had weird problems in opera when upgrading over older installs (I use customised menus and stuff).

These days I install new versions in a seperate directory and do all customisations by hand afterwards.

Edit: should've read better, as problem did not occur during upgrade;
        Last edited by dZeus; 22 July 2006, 05:48.

Comment

That's the odd part ... I've been running Opera 9 final since the day it came out, so for several weeks. I just launched it one day and the bookmarks were gone.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            That's the odd part ... I've been running Opera 9 final since the day it came out, so for several weeks. I just launched it one day and the bookmarks were gone.
            Ditto. Everything else is there. Everything in Wand is still around, it remembers all my settings, my entire history. Just no bookmarks, and no backup bookmark file. All zapped!
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Single user or multiple user setup? http://my.opera.com/TuPLaD/blog/show.dml/16137
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
                Single user or multiple user setup? http://my.opera.com/TuPLaD/blog/show.dml/16137
                Nope, as mentioned this was NOT during an upgrade. It just spontaneously happened one day. I didn't even reboot! I ran Opera... closed it when I went to work... then when I got home I ran it... and had no bookmarks!

Comment

Gurm, how did Firefox treat you? What made you switch to Opera?

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
                    Gurm, how did Firefox treat you? What made you switch to Opera?
                    I used Opera before FireFox was a sad little trickle in the prostate gland of Netscape.

The reason I don't use FireFox? Well, there are many. The first being that it, too, can't display Flash pages without using up ALL THE DAMN MEMORY IN MY MACHINE.

Comment

Why don't you just install the no script plug-in? That will prevent flash from running unless you want it to.
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                        Why don't you just install the no script plug-in? That will prevent flash from running unless you want it to.
                        You misunderstand.

I want Flash to run! I just want it to run... y'know... PROPERLY. The IE plugin for flash can run for days and days and months and years and never run out of RAM. The Opera plugin is so buggy that they completely stop supporting it every other build until release! The Firefox plugin is worse, only it's a free program and always has been, so nobody expects it to be good.

Comment

Don't Opera and Firefox use the exact same NPSWF32.dll plugin provided by Macromedia? Maybe the netscape-plugin itself is crappy, or are there browsers that can use the same plugin without those weird problems?

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                            Don't Opera and Firefox use the exact same NPSWF32.dll plugin provided by Macromedia? Maybe the netscape-plugin itself is crappy, or are there browsers that can use the same plugin without those weird problems?
                            I'm given to understand that it works ok in "real" Netscape, but I have no firsthand experience with this. Nor with Mozilla. It's possible that the plugin just SUCKS. All I know is that on a multitude of systems with Opera and Firefox, I've witnessed it eating up ALL available system resources on a routine basis.

Add to that the fact that both Opera and Firefox are HUGE memory hogs and have MASSIVE memory leak bugs... and you have a recipe for me not using them any more.

And its a shame, because I don't LIKE IE6.

Comment

Gurm, what I am saying is that the 'no script' plug-in prevents any flash(or any kind of script) to run except on the pages you choose. For instance, I like to read cnet now and then, but it's a huge memory hog, cpu bandwidth using fart of a page, so I never allow any of the scripts to run. So the page still comes up with content, but no flash. If I really want to see flash, I can turn it on temporarily, or if I choose, I can turn it on permanent. Have you ever tried the 'no script' plug-in? Check it out!
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X