My first physical exam in 29 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first physical exam in 29 years

For my 48th birthday Christine made an appointment for me for a full physical. This was my first true physical since 1977 so I anticipated disaster because when my friend Jocelyn checked my BP two weeks ago it was 172/112 (but Joc is a VERY attractive lady, so that might have been an extenuating circumstance ).

So I went in and got poked and probed and prodded and xrayed and overall, except for the bp, which was 152/102 at the time of the exam, the doc was impressed. My EKG was completely normal, no spots on my lungs, and I have the prostate of a 20-year-old (and I'd better give it back because I'm getting it all swollen and mushy, ha ha).

Yesterday I got the results of my bloodwork. Liver and kidney functions were normal, as was blood sugar. I let Christine read the report when she got home. I was washing my hands at the kitchen sink and my back was to her but I knew the second she saw my cholesterol levels because she squawked like she'd been goosed. Total cholesterol was 147. LDL (bad) cholesterol was 87 (preferred values less than 100) HDL (good) cholesterol 42 (normal) and triglycerides were 89 (preferred value less than 150).

Christine was incensed. "How do you rate? You eat like a caveman!" She has to struggle to keep her total cholesterol below 200, and her sister Marian, who is two years younger than Christine and prides herself at keeping in shape, has a total cholesterol of 235.

Anyway, the doctor prescribed Diovan for my blood pressure, but it may correct itself if I can lose this extra 30 lbs I'm packing. Needless to say this was a load off my mind. I may escape most of the heart problems plaguing two of my brothers, if I can keep up the clean living. Now I think I'll treat myself to a fine cigar.

Kevin

Mine at age 56;

Blood pressure: 112/78

Cholesterol: 96 TOTAL, been as low as 87. Drives my Dr. nuts because he can't get under 200
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Reminds me of some of the men in my family, myself included. Been a year since I last had a checkup, but I've always fallen in the normal or damn good category Then again, I'm only 27.

Now if I could only get my weight back in check.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I recently had my first physical in many many years. The doc said that most people would kill for my cholesterol level. I don't remember the numbers though. He did say that my "good cholesterol" level was a little low though.

One word of warning though, don't eat half a jar of peanuts before a blood test. It totally messes up the numbers. I had to have a retest, and everything was normal.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
        X