Neanderthal Genome Project.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neanderthal Genome Project.....

sci-tech-today.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sci-tech-today.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Neanderthal Genome Project Launches

July 20, 2006 10:27AM

"By having Neanderthal, we'll really be able to home in on the small percentage of differences that gave us higher cognitive abilities. Neanderthal is going to open the box. It's not going to answer the question, but it's going to tell where to look to understand all of those higher cognitive functions."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Maybe they'll discover the cognitive abilities of Neanderthal will exceed that of 50% of h. sapiens!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We'll never really know, now will we? It's likely the IQ ranges overlap, but in the end, who killed who off? If the damned PC crowd had been alive and kicking back then, CM man would have been required to stop having children in order to support Neanderthals until we eventually died out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
        Maybe they'll discover the cognitive abilities of Neanderthal will exceed that of 50% of h. sapiens!
        They did have 10-15% larger brains.

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        We'll never really know, now will we? It's likely the IQ ranges overlap, but in the end, who killed who off? If the damned PC crowd had been alive and kicking back then, CM man would have been required to stop having children in order to support Neanderthals until we eventually died out.
        Actually a lot of people think they were just poorly adapted to changing conditions. A more adaptable breed, us, just out-survived them.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Actually a lot of people think they were just poorly adapted to changing conditions. A more adaptable breed, us, just out-survived them.

Modern humans have been around for ~100k years. Neanderthals where around for over 300k years before they died out. they pretty much vanished after we showed up on the scene.
          /meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Did this not correspond to a proportionately more robust body? Brain/Body mass ratio is the important thing. Whales and elephants have much marger brains than do humans, but their bodies are much more massive as well. A petite woman might have a smaller brain than a large man, but her IQ is not correspondingly lower.

Comment

The Neanderthal (Homo neanderthalensis) or Neandertal was a species of the Homo genus that inhabited Europe and parts of western Asia. The first proto-Neanderthal traits appear in Europe as early as 350,000 years ago, by 130,000 years ago, full blown Neanderthal characteristics had appeared and by 50,000 years ago, Neanderthals disappeared from Europe, although they continued in Asia to 30,000 years ago.

Neanderthals had many adaptations to a cold climate, such as large braincases, short but robust builds, and large noses — traits selected by nature in cold climates, as observed in modern sub-arctic populations.

>
              Fate of the Neanderthals

No one knows why neanderthals became extinct. There are currently three theories as to why neanderthalensis, which persisted for 200,000 years, are no longer extant.

Unable to adapt

As the European populations of neanderthalensis were adapted for a cold environment, it is possible that they were unable to adapt to the warming climate at the end of the most recent ice age.

Unable to compete

It is possible that Neaderthals were unable to compete with H. sapiens as they moved into neanderthalensis territory in Europe. This could have taken the form of direct competition (open conflict and warfare between the species) or indirect competition (reduced access to resources).

Introgression into H. sapiens

It is likely that there was contact between Neanderthal and Cro-magnon populations (see "Multiregional hypothesis"), but the absence of Mitochondrial DNA traceable to the Neanderthals in modern humans has been taken to suggest a species barrier between Neanderthals and Cro-magnons. Some studies using European DNA suggest that there was an introgression of Neanderthal DNA into the modern human genome over long time period, but other studies contradict those findings.
              Another possibility is that modern humans brought with them pathogens that Neanderthals had no defense against. This would fit nicely with a rapid extinction.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 July 2006, 11:37.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

They persisted up to 30,000 years ago, yet the Toba incident of 74,000 years ago reduced human population to around 5000-10,000 individuals? Hmm..

Comment

By the way.. remember the bus driver from the movie Speed? Serious brow ridge and jaw protrusion there.. some may have survived.

Comment

Doc

You forgot the REAL cause: multiculturism
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

No, no... CaveMart crushed the local Neanderhuts. Never had a chance.
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                        Doc

You forgot the REAL cause: multiculturism

KvH;

That post-Toba population estimate was based on an iffy mitochondrial DNA mutation 'clock'. VERY iffy.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

You are ALL forgetting that according to the recent finds in Antarctica, we are the SECOND evolution of this form to occur on Earth. The Ancients, of course, all left after the great plague nearly wiped them out, taking most of their cities and technology with them...
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

The Piri Reis Map is what Gurm is referring to;

A good analysis;

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 July 2006, 09:14.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What REALLY annoyes me is the way the "years ago" numbers are trown around and how "humans" sometimes means "Homo Sapiens sapens" only, everything back to homo habilis, just us and neanderthals, cro magnon somethimes refered to as something diffrent from H.S:S and sometimes the same, etc etc...
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X