Vista July CTP is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista July CTP is out

Anyone with an MSDN or Technet subscription can get the new Vista build as of yesterday. Downloading now...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

It's been out for a little longer...

got it on my lappy now. seems alright overall, even though I upgraded an existing XP install. existing apps seem fine except ones that 1) rely on Direct3D, and 2) rely on specific device drivers.

case in point - the version of Daemon Tools I had installed originally crapped itself after the upgrade. They have released a new version of it that works with Vista, but the upgrade broke the existing install. Now I can't uninstall the old copy, and the new one will not install for an unknown reason.

ActiveSync / Windows Mobile Device Center transition seems completely broken so far.

And it really sucks that I cannot import any of my Outlook information into the new Windows apps...

hrmph.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
      And it really sucks that I cannot import any of my Outlook information into the new Windows apps...

hrmph.
      Not even into Outlook 2007? I find it hard to believe you can't just load up the .PST in... or wait, did you mean in some built-in shitty apps? I mean, the feds have banned MS from bundling anything USEFUL with the OS... even though Linux distros all come with OpenOffice.org, MS could never do that now for fear of massive litigation.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Office 2007 shouldn't be an issue. No, my main interest was migrating contact/calander info from Outlook 03 into the built in Contacts and Windows Calander programs. I would love to migrate stuff over to Windows Mail if only for testing.

Sadly, Outlook itself does not allow exporting to anything other than .csv's (or equally shitty formats) and these apps do not import .PST's

anyways...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I've always assumed that the inability to export to anything useful was quite intentional on MS's part, to ensure that people didn't jump ship to Lotus or OpenOffice or whatever.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Indeed. it just seems like quite the glaring omission on their part.

Sadly, I have a sneaking suspicion that their replacement to ActiveSync will likely use the built in programs by default, and it might take some monkeying around (or a different program) to sync with Outlook.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
              It's been out for a little longer...
              Well, it just made it onto MSDN on wednesday.

I'll be trying it out over the weekend. Regarding the SyncCenter issues, I think I read somewhere that it only supports WM5, not WM2003. Or was it the other way around...
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Nah, it works with WM5. Unfortunately, they do not include a nessicary update to make it work. i was able to get it somewhat fixed after I finished setting the computer up.

aannnyyywayyss... a huge improvement over the last build I tried. very impressive...

Comment

speed improvemnets? memory fotprint? (still stomping bigfot? )
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Call me when SP-2 arrives. Until then I treat M$ products as viruses, unless a program I absolutely need requires it. Even then it gets its own restricted multiboot partition.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                    X