Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel to launch quad-core processors in Q4

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Shouldn't have to much trouble running programs on that.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Soon we'll be saying stuff like, "You still have a single core CPU? Ha! you suck!".
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I already have 2 cores
        Wonder what they'll use to cool a quad-core.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Shouldn't have to much trouble running programs on that.
          Actually, yeah they probably will. Doesn't look like they'll have enough memory bandwidth to feed them right.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I agree. I think I heard that Intel's first crack at quad-core will basically be two Core 2 Duos in one package. So each pair will have a separate cache, and they'll have to go through the FSB to talk to the other pair and to main memory. They're rumored to be working on something similar to Hyper Transport, as well as a true quad-core (with unified cache), but that's further down the road. This kind of quad core is no better than AMDs 4x4 (two sockets of dual core), and without hyper transport it will end up being slower.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I really don't think memory bandwidth has or will be much of an issue, the only place I have seen it EVER make a difference is in synthetic benchmarks.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

That's not quite true. It's especially an issue when you're going multi-processor/core.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

This strikes me as something that MS is going to have a REAL problem with. I'm surprised that they made the exception for running multiple cores on XP Home for 2-core or Hyperthreaded CPU's. I really don't see them losing one of the few reasons they have to force folks to buy Vista Pro without a huge fight.

In other words, either Intel has to half-ass the interface, or MS will make you run a $300 OS just to use the other 2 cores on your chip. LOL.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

The rumors are that most software vendors will start pro-rating for multicore chips. For example, two cores costs 1.5X a single core. 4 cores is 2.5X. 8 cores is 3.5X. Each software vendor will have their own multiples of course.

So far, MS has said that they won't charge any extra for additional cores. We'll see how long that lasts.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                    X