Memory Spot vs. RFID's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Spot vs. RFID's

Like RFIDs, Memory Spot chips store data and have a built-in radio transmitter but the similarities end there.

RFIDs store a very small amount of data – enough to identify and describe an object but not nearly enough for, say, a photograph. And they are able to transmit up to 15 feet, which makes them ideal for inventory control.

Memory Spots, on the other hand, can transmit only about 1 millimeter so the reader has to come into almost touching distance. That limits the applications but increases privacy and security because you don't have to worry about someone reading your data from across the room.

The Memory Spot has a fully integrated antenna that's part of the same silicon as the chip itself while RFIDs have attached antennas. Some RFIDs need a power source but the memory spot will never need any type of battery.

The power necessary to transfer data from the spot to the device is embedded into the reader. When the reader gets within a millimeter of the chip, it provides the necessary energy to transfer the data.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Even them stating the read range of only about 1mm, people will still freak and be afraid that the government is tracking everything they are doing
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Same people that wear tin foil hats

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wait... how did you know I was wearing a...

“And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

ROFL
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                    Even them stating the read range of only about 1mm, people will still freak and be afraid that the government is tracking everything they are doing
                    Because techniques are always developed to read these things at further ranges.

It's not just about them actually doing it. It is about them or others being enabled to do it especially when it is not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                      Because techniques are always developed to read these things at further ranges.

It's not just about them actually doing it. It is about them or others being enabled to do it especially when it is not necessary.
                      You mean tracking people with readers which can read the tags from multiple milimeters?
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                      X