Airbus 350 a dead copy of Boeing 787

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbus 350 a dead copy of Boeing 787

Apparently not an original thought in their rushing to catch up little heads

July 18, 2006 Airbus used the backdrop of the Farnborough Air Show to today present a new family of aircraft, the A350 XWB, for Extra Wide Body, which will offer increased range, more speed, enhanced passenger comfort and improved economics and efficiency. The new family will consist of four…

B-787

A-350
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 July 2006, 17:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sorry, but when looking at those pictures, the 787 is clearly much larger.

Comment

I wonder if this isn't to be expected. I mean, most cars nowadays also have a similar shape.

In my opinion, it is a consequence of the "form-follows-function"-philosophy. Aerodynamics is one field where this key.

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

But when Boeing first showed the 787 design they were criticsed for the wing/fin shapes because they were 'pretty' and not 'functional'. Can't have it both ways

Also on the Airbus front; here's a statement from Honywell that seems to indicate that the A380 may never fly:
        Honeywell's Cote said A380 delays 'not a problem'

WASHINGTON, June 22 (Reuters)

The chief executive of Honeywell International Inc., the world's largest maker of cockpit electronics, said on Thursday that delays in the launch of Airbus' superjumbo jet the A380 were "not a problem" for the company.

"If you've spent the money to be on any platform you'd just as soon see the platform take off," David Cote, who is also Honeywell's chairman, said in an interview.

"I wouldn't be happy about saying, 'Gee, all that money we spent on the A380 was wasted,' but the money's been expensed, gone, you just move on," Cote said. "I would just as soon see it fly, but if it doesn't, it's not a problem for us."

Airbus and parent EADS last week pushed back the release date of the A380, which seats up to 853 passengers, by another six months.

Cote said Honeywell, based in Morris Township, New Jersey, could make up any lost business from the A380 program by selling cockpit electronics and other airplane components to other plane manufacturers.
        Hmmmmmmmmmm....
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 July 2006, 00:55.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          But when Boeing first showed the 787 design they were criticsed for the wing/fin shapes because they were 'pretty' and not 'functional'. Can't have it both ways
          Actually, the wing shape provides for roll-stability (the same reason why wings are often in a V-shape: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral

And aviation often goes with the saying: "If it looks good, it flies good."

Also on the Airbus front; here's a statement from Honywell that seems to indicate that the A30 may never fly:

Well, euhm, the A380 doesn't look very good...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
            Actually, the wing shape provides for roll-stability (the same reason why wings are often in a V-shape: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral

And aviation often goes with the saying: "If it looks good, it flies good."

Jörg
            I said thats what reviewers said. Generally I agree with looks/flies, but that doesn't explain the Warthog
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Er, wait... you see one pic and you say there has been "not an original thought" in them designing the plane? Surely you aren't that stupid. Also, the Honeywell CEO doesn't imply tha A380 "may never fly", and you know it. It's all just wishful thinking on your part.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Er, wait... you see one pic and you say there has been "not an original thought" in them designing the plane? Surely you aren't that stupid. Also, the Honeywell CEO doesn't imply tha A380 "may never fly", and you know it. It's all just wishful thinking on your part.
                Ok, but you have to admit that it is strange when he says: if it doesn't fly, it's no big deal.
                (could be he was misquoted of course)

Given the fact that their first version already flew, I have little doubt that the A380 will make it to market, if with a delay.

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

And anyway Boening dropped pretty nose and fins of their plane (boo - since LOT will be getting them). And while I can't see details of fins on the pic of new Airbus...the nose does appear to more fit the wings

Comment

Originally posted by az
                    Also, the Honeywell CEO doesn't imply tha A380 "may never fly", and you know it. It's all just wishful thinking on your part.
                    Damn, somebody's defensive. But yeah, he sure as hell is implying that the A380 may never fly. His words are exactly the thing an American CEO would say in that situation. It walks the line just right: it doesn't set him up for defamation by Airbus, but it also protects Honeywell's stock from a drop when A380 doesn't fly.
                    Last edited by Wombat; 18 July 2006, 09:12.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Doc, do you got stock in boing or is it just ultrapatriotism gone wrong?
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The images don't work for me...
                        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Neither. I just think the Airbus mgt. has jumped the shark in many ways.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            Damn, somebody's defensive. But yeah, he sure as hell is implying that the A380 may never fly. His words are exactly the thing an American CEO would say in that situation. It walks the line just right: it doesn't set him up for defamation by Airbus, but it also protects Honeywell's stock from a drop when A380 doesn't fly.
                            Maybe I'm too defensive, I shouldn't react in that way to Mordrid being offensive, I know. Mea Culpa. The A380 already flew. Honestly, do you believe any of the two big plane makers to develop a plane up to that point, sell hundreds of it and then shelf it? And the stuff about the A350XWB vs. 787 he posted are just crap phrased like facts. This destructive attitude and all this Schadenfreude are quite tiring.
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                              Honestly, do you believe any of the two big plane makers to develop a plane up to that point, sell hundreds of it and then shelf it?
                              Umm, yeah. It happens all the time with military craft. Airbus seems to be having a lot of problems, and lost sales. A lot of customers are becoming more unhappy with the thought of rebuilding their gates to accomodate this plane. There comes a point where a redesign is the best option.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X