Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about possible upgrade (P4,mobo/NIC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about possible upgrade (P4,mobo/NIC)

I have a chance to get quite cheaply Pentium 4 3GHz 1MB L2 Prescott, Socket 478 (basically if I'll give any other S478 CPU, I'll get this P4 in exchange...so the price for it is around 38€ right now). Since this post will be long and my hand is broken, I'll get straight to questions:

1. The dillema of course is - is it worth it. Currently I have Athlon XP 1700+. And while P4 will feel more responsive in every imaginable situtation (I think)...I'm generally satisfied with my current CPU (it can do everything I want from it...).
    Except in one case - it happens from time to time that my computer must do two tasks, one of which consumes 20 to 30% of CPU (runs in background) and the other one is playing a movie(xvid/divx)/watching TV. Both CPU usages don't sum up to 100% (80 tops), however video playback is jerky anyway. I imagine this is not a problem with raw CPU power, but with switching between tasks. And while dual CPU/core machine would certainly be "optimal" solution...isn't Hyperthreading supposed to help in such situations? DO you think it will? (can't easily test it...)

2. Motherboard.
    If I'm going with Intel CPU, I'm going also with Intel chipset, and rather decent one. However since mobos for S478/DDR are hard to get...don't have much choices. Definatelly two decent ones: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (i875P) and Asus P4GPL-X (i915PL). Of course certainly FPS performance differences are negligible for me, but there are few factors that might differentiate things...
    - integrated network card
    In October I'll be moving to place which has quite good and fast Internet acces. And, naturally , I'll be using eMule/bt quite a lot. From what I've heard, very good NIC can make quite a difference (especially if you have great one among the mediocre ones, I imagine - net acces is through LAN there). i875 mobo has superb NIC for sure - not only Intel ("Intel CSA 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"), but also the one that has, apparently, separate connection with i875 northbridge. However I'm not sure about the one in i915 mobo - "Marvell 88E8053 PCIe Gigabit LAN Controller". Same class as Intel one on i875? Even if yes on Windows...how much worse under Linux? (=are still 3com and Intel the only safe bets there?)
    - SATA
    I decided that I definatelly need new, big HDD soon - and it seems that I'll go with SATA after all. But mobos have one difference - i875 has first gen SATA, and i915/ICH6 southbridge second, with NCQ. So question - does this feature make a difference in OS/apps that you can feel?
    - sound
    Supposedly on i9xx mobos there's some new decent integrated audio. How decent? Finally something on par/better than Aureal Vortex SQ2500? (think SB Live quality, perhaps slightly better)
    - integrated VIA firewire on i875 mobo (OK, that's not really that relevant)
    Is this particular VIA product decent enough to not be afraid of turning it on in the BIOS? Or, as usual - "run away!"?
    - 24-pin ATX power connector (on i915 mobo)
    My PSU doesn't have such connector. Big problem?

Of course forgetting for a moment dillemas that one has AGP and the other PCIe (not a bif problem...I'm in need of upgrade anyway, and temporalily can use either G400 AGP or G450 PCI) or that i875 would end up cheaper, but with more hassle (it's in the machine with CPU)

3. Cooling/sound
    I currently use Zalman CNPS-7000 AlCu in most quiet mode. Can't hear it, AXP 1700+ (70W) is just below 50 degrees. This Prescott pumps out around 100W AFAI remember...but is (effectivelly) noiseless cooling possible? It sits now in badly ventilated case, using stock Intel cooler, at 70 degrees and seems fine...(and I don't mind "high" temperatures as long as they are in range allowed by Intel) OTOH Zalman says to put fan speed on max with this CPU...

OK, I think I haven't forgotten anything...

PS. Yes, I'm considering the possiblity that prices for AMD CPU's currently on the market will fall rapidly...but I have 2 months to decide whether or not do this upgrade.

PPS. I might seem a bit too worrying about the details...but it's just that if I'll upgrade I'll be left with such machine for some time...

Check my sig... you'd basically be using what I am right now, I am very happy with it.

Only problem is, when all is said and done and you've paid for the mobo and cooler when that money could have gone towards a Core 2 Duo

I ran this computer at 3.6ghz WITHOUT A FAN for 1 hour before I realized I forgot to plug it in (ran hot but perfectly stable)

To minimize heat, reduce the voltage on it - I am running at less than stock and overclocked, the default voltage settings are too high. If you keep it at 3ghz you should be able to run it at whatever the minimum voltage setting is on the mobo.

With my SI-120 and 1500rpm 120mm fan I run low 40's idle low/mid 50's gaming, in a poorly ventilated computer desk/area.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

OK, so silent cooling is out of the "problems/questions" list. And I really don't think I could buy Core 2 Duo with mobo (no cooler needed, I'll use Zalman 7000) for something around 90€

What about NIC, PSU plug and SATA things? (BTW, I'm finding some conflicting informations, so...does i915/ICH6 has support for NCQ? If not...then the boards wouldn't be much different to me, except that i875 would end up cheaper and "safer")
      Last edited by Nowhere; 17 July 2006, 16:41.

Comment

I don't think the i875 supports NCQ. Not sure if you'd really notice a difference anyways. As for the NICs, I've never really noticed any difference from nic to nic.

Power connectors usually don't pose a problem, if you don't have a 24pin I think you have a 20+4 that you just connect side by side. Something like that...

SATA have their own type of power connectors, but they also have support for the older molex ones, so that shouldn't be a problem.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
          I don't think the i875 supports NCQ. Not sure if you'd really notice a difference anyways. As for the NICs, I've never really noticed any difference from nic to nic.

Power connectors usually don't pose a problem, if you don't have a 24pin I think you have a 20+4 that you just connect side by side. Something like that...

SATA have their own type of power connectors, but they also have support for the older molex ones, so that shouldn't be a problem.
          It depends on the indivdual drives. I have one that has both connectors, but most seem to have only the SATA one. There are adapters though.

Comment

Wtach out for video cards using Hyper Memory or TurboCache. THese are fancy words for uses system memory except for a tiny framebuffer.

Comment

Those are budget cards, stay away from those regardless of the memory. Find a 6600GT or vanilla on ebay if you want a nice cheap video card for AGP.

Comment

Weird thing with power connector on 915 mobo is that it has both 24pin and 4pin...so this method rather wouldn't work and question remains open.
                As for the GFX card...yeah, depending on the mobo I'll choose I'll get either some 6600 AGP or 6600PCIe/7300(nice thing about the latter - passive colling out of the box; bad thing - every I've seen has this awful way of connecting VGA output, similar in looks to PATA cable, etc.). Anyway - not relevant since I won't upgrade immediatelly (to say the least...)

So, still wondering about ATX power connector, NICs (especially Linux support thing...) and whether i915/ICH6 southbridge supports NCQ...

Comment

Working...
                X