Question on codec comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on codec comparison

My trial of the Morgan MJPEG codec is coming to an end in July and I gues that I will register it. However I see that there is another codec PICvideo out there. I have the trial of it but not gotten around to use it. (it's supposed to rain Sunday so I will try it) Has any one any comparisons between the two. I use the Morgan codec in Win2k to edit my Matrox Win95 captured video and create new AVIs to comvert to SVCD via TMPGE. I find that the end SVCD looks better than one converted from the Matrox codec AVI. Less pixilation and blocks.

Thanx in advance.
    paulw

I use PICVideo MJPeg all the time. The big thing it has going for it is speed. It's blistering fast so it can do its magic with fewer resources than other codecs during a capture. The quality I'm getting is quite good.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanx Doc. Will the PIC work OK on a Matrox RRS coptured files??
      paulw

Comment

They should. I've used it to play RRStudio and Marvel captures. I often use YUY2 to capture direct to PICVideo since it is less artifact prone on recompression than Matrox's Zoran MJPeg codec.

A quality of 20 gives me about 5.5 mb/s captures, which edit nicely and will play back through DVDMax without too much CPU overhead. A PIII700 or so should do quite nicely.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well guys, I donĀ“t want you to seduce you to do illegal things but if you would look at

http://www.astalavista.box.sk

you would find some nice "information" on "registering" most common shareware.

Just a hint, only heard about it.

Friedrich

Comment

Thanx Doc for the info,

I did so testing on Sunday. I found that for some reason that the PIC codec did not like the PAL 704x576 resolution of it's MJPEG codec , though it went fine in the lossless codec (though a humungus files size). However I have decided to register the Morgan V2 codec as it seems to integrate better with my system and does produce very nice AVIs to be encoded to MPEG2 for SVCD.

------------------
            paulw
            paulw

Comment

Whatever works. I've been using PIC at 720x480 NTSC and it works just fine.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X