• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order in the court!!

New York panel OKs pistol-packing judges

Posted 7/15/2006 11:59 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP)

It's one way to assure order in the court. The New York state Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics has ruled that it is permissible for judges to pack a pistol beneath their robes while on the bench.

"From an ethical standpoint, there is no prohibition ... barring you from carrying a firearm while performing your duties on the bench," the committee said in a decision published in this week's New York Law Journal.

Judges would have to comply with existing laws to bring a gun into court.

The committee was asked by one of the state's 3,400 judges whether it was "ethically permissible" to carry a pistol into the courtroom. And though it ruled in favor of pistol-packing jurists, the committee warned that judges must "be patient, dignified and courteous" to those appearing before the bench and behave in "a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary."

How to achieve that while armed?

"This committee believes that keeping your firearm concealed and safeguarded on your person while you are on the bench is advisable," the ruling said.
    This likely because of a case in Atlanta, Georgia where a prisoner broke free, attacked a bailiff, took her gun and killed a judge.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

We'll see. It's apparently damn-near impossible to get a permit in NYC.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Judges get preferred treatment, even in NYC
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 July 2006, 00:27.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

ROFLMAO!! Talk about judge, jury and executioner

When you absolutely positively need to deal out some justice right now! Accept no substitute.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

anyone recognize that movie? hehe
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
          X