SATA hard drive configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA hard drive configuration

Thinking about buying new SATA hard drives to replace my older ATA drives. Not a gamer anymore but I do notice my hard drive being a bottleneck when loading programmer IDEs like Eclipse. Own a camcorder now and will be editing some videos. So a couple choices and I'm not sure which way to go.

First off I have a ATA100, 2MB cache drive used for the OS and ATA133, 8MB cache Maxtor drive as my storage drive. Do I:
    A) Move the storage drive to be my new OS drive.
    B) Find a new fast, smaller HD (using nForce4 300MB/s SATA). Will I see a noticeable improvement in OS and app load times versus using the older drive?

Then I'm looking at the Seagate Barracuda 320 GB drives to be new video editing/storage drives:

A) Buy 2 and just stick'em into the computer using the nForce 4 chipset capable of 300 MB/s. Is 320 GB on a single disk enough space to do a lot of editing (importing via firewire)? Geez I remember the days when I bought my 80 GB drive to do video editing with G200 and thought that was a lot of space.

B) Buy 3 and RAID 5 them using a Silicon Image SATA chipset that is only 150 MB/s. Although I just noticed in the manual it says supported on Win 2003/200/XP... software raid? I'm out of the loop on this stuff now-a-days.

My mobo has both chipsets on the board.

Thanks for your guys' help as always.

Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan
Working...
X