Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum computer OFF, but still gives answer

Quantum computer works best switched off

Even for the crazy world of quantum mechanics, this one is twisted. A quantum computer program has produced an answer without actually running.

The idea behind the feat, first proposed in 1998, is to put a quantum computer into a “superposition”, a state in which it is both running and not running. It is as if you asked Schrödinger's cat to hit "Run".

With the right set-up, the theory suggested, the computer would sometimes get an answer out of the computer even though the program did not run. And now researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have improved on the original design and built a non-running quantum computer that really works.

They send a photon into a system of mirrors and other optical devices, which included a set of components that run a simple database search by changing the properties of the photon.

The new design includes a quantum trick called the Zeno effect. Repeated measurements stop the photon from entering the actual program, but allow its quantum nature to flirt with the program's components - so it can become gradually altered even though it never actually passes through.

"It is very bizarre that you know your computer has not run but you also know what the answer is," says team member Onur Hosten.

This scheme could have an advantage over straightforward quantum computing. "A non-running computer produces fewer errors," says Hosten. That sentiment should have technophobes nodding enthusiastically.

Journal reference: Nature (vol 439, p 949)
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I have not had nearly enough beer to understand this concept
    Sounds err interesting I think...
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'm with Sasq. I guess i need to read up on my quantum theory a little more
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

It's in a state of superposition like Schrodinger's cat, with all outcomes possible but no one outcome yet 'selected'. The selection is when you open the cats box or, in this example, turn on the computer. This is "collapsing the wave function."

They've found that in this state they can 'read' enough of the quantum computers potentials to get a result, even with the circuitry off.

Einstein called superposition "spooky action at a distance" because two particles in superposition with each other "know" what the other is doing where ever they are, even across the universe. This is the basis of much work these days including the teleportation of quantum states.

QM is nature on acid

Here's another one. Physicists have found the spinon and holon; the 'particles' that give electrons spin and charge. Look for a lot of new tech from this one, esp. in the fields of superconductivity, spintronics, nanowires etc.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 July 2006, 23:25.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          Einstein called superposition "spooky action at a distance" because two particles in superposition with each other "know" what the other is doing where ever they are, even across the universe. This is the basis of much work these days including the teleportation of quantum states.
          sounds like the woman who knows about her husband being in a bar at the eight glass of whisky without actually being with him
          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Few months ago I've read about it on reddit, someone tries to explain this in straightforward way in the comments:

And some explanation here also:

Comment

Pretty close.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

"A non-running computer produces fewer errors,"
                My users have said that a lot of times.
                I wonder what they were trying to imply?
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

QM is nature on acid
                  Rather, QM seems to be nature on acid because humans at large has trubble wrapping their mind around its peculiaritys.

The real trubble is: if a QM scientist was on acid it be hard to know
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What really scares you is when QM seems to make sense
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yeah looks interesting. I read Schrodinger's cat a few years ago. Good reading!
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                      X