Living alone doubles heart risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living alone doubles heart risk

New evidence links living alone with serious heart disease in men and women – but divorced women are 40% less likely to face this deadly problem

Living alone may double heart disease risk

* 13:12 13 July 2006
    * NewScientist.com news service
    * Roxanne Khamsi

Living alone doubles the risk of heart disease, suggests the largest prospective study so far to examine a possible link. But the same research also suggests that divorce may do the heart some good – but only for women.

Kirsten Nielsen of the Aarhus Sygehus University Hospital in Aarhus, Denmark, and colleagues used information from their national health database on people aged 30 to 69 living in Aarhus. They also examined these individuals’ health records from 2000 to 2002.

The team hoped to understand the risk factors that predispose people to a form of heart disease known as acute coronary syndrome, which includes heart attacks and sudden cardiac death.

Of over 138,000 people studied, 646 were diagnosed with acute coronary syndrome. Men above the age of 50, and women above 60, who lived alone were particularly at risk. Despite constituting just 8% of the whole study population, these groups accounted for more than 96% of all deaths within a month of a positive diagnosis, Nielsen notes.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Again, pseudo-science-reporting. The article mentions diet only glossing over it, but it is likely to be a confounding factor which is more likely to be contributory to the coronary problems than the fact of living alone. Maybe they should study the relationship of coronary deaths of those noble inhabitants of Aarhus eating junk food more than once per week. I wouldn't mind betting that there would be little difference between those living alone and those in a family. If that be so, then living alone is not likely to double the heart disease risk. The fact that those living alone tend not to have a balanced diet is a confounding factor.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

"Having fun shortens your life" - so? (And I'm not bitter, that was just a joke, but its essence holds true. It's not being alone, it's the different habits - eating, drinking, partying... - making single life less healthy.)
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Brian, this kind of study has been done in govt. sponsored studies with similar results. Also; compounding factors are taken into account in well designed studies.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Having a driving licence also increases the risk of dying in a car crash.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

So does driving without one.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Clearly indicating that cars are a direct contributor to automobile accidents!

Comment

Cars don't have accidents, people do...
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I've been single for 20+ years. I'm not 50 yet, but, inching closer. Should I worry?......pfffft.

If anything, my cholesterol is considerably lower and I definitely don't have a blood pressure issues anymore.

NO stress here either. (seriously)(Advice - Don't try to control stuff, you have no control over )(This means you can control yourself (or not) ...and that's pretty much it)

It is what it is.

Don't worry, be happy

Comment

Living is the predominate contributor to death.
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                    X