Apply for or renew your US passport before August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply for or renew your US passport before August

Insane. Almost as bad as paperless e-voting.

They are going to add RFID chips to our passports.

Luckily this will have been dropped as a fiasco before ours expire.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/13/pf/r...ex.htm?cnn=yes
    Originally posted by CNN
    The equipment needed to skim an RFID chip neither has to be large nor expensive. Nokia sells cell phones capable of reading RFID chips. Texas Instruments sells kits to do the same thing.

In May, researchers at the University of Tel Aviv created a skimmer from electronics hobbyist kits costing less than $110. The equipment was small enough to fit into a briefcase or be disguised in any manner of luggage or clothes that could hide the 15-inch copper tube antenna.

The antenna boosts the read-range from a few inches to a few feet. To extend the range of surreptitious access much further, a second piece of equipment is needed to fake the RFID reader into sending a "read" signal, which is then relayed via radio waves to the skimmer's reader near the targeted RFID chip.

In 2005, a researcher at Cambridge extended the range to about 160 feet while successfully accessing a contactless smart card's details.

ID thieves who figure out a way around the security precaution on RFID passports, which includes anti-skimming material in the cover, can use this method in a crowded airport terminal or hotel lobby to conceivably "borrow" someone's ID data and spoof it to another official reader, effectively cloaking themselves in another's persons ID.

Or they could learn a person's nationality, or confirm the identity of someone they were searching for to harm.

"It's a great way for unfriendly elements to set up their own RFID scanning systems and pick Americans right out of a crowd...If you put an RFID scanner in a doorway or maybe a lamp-post," said Sterling, "you can just sit there automatically counting the passing passports."

Even if the skimmed data is encrypted -- as e-Passport information would be -- skilled hackers could potentially save the information and crack it elsewhere.

Researchers at the Dutch security test lab Riscure cracked the encryption on a mocked up RFID passport in two hours using a PC in 2005.

U.S. passports are issued for ten years, which means the RFID chip technology of those passports, along with their vulnerabilities, will be floating around for a decade. Technology would have to "stop cold" Schneier of Counterpane says for improvements in skimming and hacking equipment not to occur.

Moss said the State Department "recognizes that technology will change during the 10 year life cycle of US passports" and that's why it's focusing on more than one technology to protect data.

Sterling, however, compares RFID passports to a "nice yellow armband" -- a big sign on your body announcing your identity. "Would you pay anything for that device?" Sterling asks. "Would you buy it in a travel store because you thought it made you feel safer? Or would you conclude that this technology existed so that you could be treated like a can on a grocery-food shelf?"

Schneier says there are a number of ways to improve the security of RFID passports but the best trick is to not create RFID passports at all. "Someone in the government got it in their head to make it RFID. Yes, its cool technology," said Schneier, "but don't do it because it's cool."
    Last edited by cjolley; 13 July 2006, 13:54.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Well what happens if the RFID doesn't work? Y'know, because your passport went through a big f-ing magnet, say?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

SkyeTek has announced security enhancements to RFID's;

For two of the company's reader modules -- the SkyeModule M2 HF reader and the SkyeModule M9 UHF reader -- SkyeTek has added two security features: Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) hashing. The encryption allows tag data to be scrambled so that unauthorized parties cannot read it, and the hashing protects against tag tampering and counterfeiting. Both the AES and SHA cryptography techniques are considered industry standards in fields such as finance, government, and electronic commerce.
      RFID's aren't affected by a magnet, which is why bank/debit/credit cards will soon move to them. Master Card and American Express have been testing them for over a year. Chase & CitiBank going that way too.

Expect your Social Security card, medical insurance & drivers licenses to do likewise. Some auto's already use RFID fobs instead of door keys (some BMW, Audi, Cadillac & Lexus).

How do you tell? The strip on the back isn't the color of magtape (ours is gold) or has a raised rectangle or square and most also feature PayPass, which is a tap-n-go system. The Speedpass key fobs for gas stations are also RFID'ed.

Soon RFID's & their readers will be in everything from food & goods packaging to sidewalks.

ISO has a 2nd generation RIFD standard, so it's going global;

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has amended its existing passive UHF RFID standard to include the EPCglobal Gen2 standard. The inclusion now means that Gen2-compliant RFID hardware will also be considered compliant by ISO standards. RFID Update spoke about the development with Gay Whitney, EPCglobal's director of standards.

There had actually already been an ISO standard describing UHF RFID entitled ISO/IEC 18000-6 Type C, or, more informally, "18000-6C". That standard and Gen2 were exceedingly similar, however; the minor differences were "really semantic", according to Whitney. Rather than have the redundancy of two international standards for UHF RFID, it made sense to achieve parity. "It was really a matter of synching them up," said Whitney. The result was the incorporation of Gen2 as Type C of the existing ISO/IEC 18000-6. The amended standard was then approved late last month.
      Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 July 2006, 19:02.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hehe, I recall people here freaking out about Walmart adopting the RFID technology on their products for better more effeciant inventory management.
        Now everyone else is doing the same thing including the US government, and Canada will follow suit.

We'll see how it evolves.

Regards,
        Elie
        Last edited by Elie; 13 July 2006, 19:14.

Comment

put it in the microwave.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

We have this too since a few months. The funniest thing about this is that passports will stay valid with a non-functional RFID in them, revealing the security argument as just a scam to get more surveillance - every criminal worth his salt will just put his passport in the microwave, but every law-abiding citizen won't.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

my co-worker go one of the new issues here - her first trip OS.
              she refused to let me see the pic, but i got to play with the RFID insert.
              I really am still in two minds about it. Recently I haven't, but I used to spend a lot of time bopping around on planes. anything that makes the immigration que quicker... on the other hand, the thought of some guy with a sooped up antenna reading my details at a distance doesn't appeal
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Passports have ussues that the other things rfids are used for simply don't have.
                What would you say if your bank wanted to issue you an rfid containing credit card that they weren't going to replace for 10 years?
                You'd thell them to go jump in a lake, that's what any sane person would do.

I don't see why they even bother encrypting the info in it.
                I mean, by the time these first gen ones expire the bad guys will be able to use a wrist watch to do real time reading and decrypting of them.
                From a distance.
                Last edited by cjolley; 14 July 2006, 06:31.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

My RFID'ed cards have a 4 year life cycle, a bit longer than the magtape but not much.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    My RFID'ed cards have a 4 year life cycle, a bit longer than the magtape but not much.
                    And what would be your reply to your bank if they said that as a cost cutting measure they were going to extend the card for 10 years?
                    Accepting that would be tantamount to tattooing "Hack Me" on your forehead.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Banks that do so would be easy pickings for those that don't. I've changed banks for less. In the end security becomes an advertising point.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

RFID's in chronically ill patients

UPDATE:

Discover how the body works — and what happens when things change — with the latest health news, articles and features from the experts at Live Science

Chips with Medical Records to be Implanted in 280 Patients

By Theresa Agovino
                        The Associated Press
                        posted: 15 July 2006
                        11:21 am ET

NEW YORK (AP)—In a new test program, Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Jersey plans to implant patients suffering from chronic diseases with a microchip that will give emergency room staff access to their medical information and help avoid costly or serious medical errors, the insurer said on Friday.

Horizon plans to announce on Monday that it is teaming up with Hackensack University Medical Center in a pilot program where 280 patients regularly treated at the hospital will be implanted with a chip containing a code. The chip would allow emergency room personnel to retrieve a patient's medical record if the individual can't communicate.

The rice-sized microchip is implanted in a patient's right arm above the elbow and can be detected using equipment at the hospital.

The hope is that the chips will help doctors avoid medical errors like duplicating medical tests, dangerous drug interactions and bad diagnoses.

Within the next 30 days, Horizon will start sending letters to patients with chronic diseases explaining the new program and inviting them to participate. The program is voluntary and won't cost the patient any money to participate.

Patients with chronic conditions are the program's target because they are more likely to have serious medical problems that could leave them unable to communicate when they are at the emergency room, said Dr. Richard Popiel, vice president and chief medical officer at Horizon. For example, diabetics with low blood sugar may become confused or unconscious.

He said Horizon will test the program for two years to see if it warrants expansion.

VeriChip Corp. makes the chips and detection equipment. Hackensack already had the equipment because it was part of VeriChip's development program.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Now there is a use for them that makes a lot of sense.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yup....massive sense.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                            X