Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes you have to do things for yourself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes you have to do things for yourself....

I bought a used Cybernet Elite II ZPC for pretty cheap for use on a small desk (really just a slightly enlarged shelf) which is part of a built-in book case. For those who may not know, the ZPCs were small form factor rigs before small form factor was really even thought of: ZPC stands for Zerofootprint Personal Computer.

Basically, the whole computer is stuffed into a slightly oversized keyboard. The only external connections are the AC-DC PSU, Network cable, Mouse and monitor connections.

It has one PCI expansion slot OR a laptop optical drive: mine came sans an optical drive so I had to boot it over the network to install an OS; this is where my problems started. The onboard SIS900 PCI adapter's PXE ROM was a bit out of date and would not accept a TFTP server referral address from the DHCP server. "No problem", I thought, "I'll just download a newer firmware and be on my way..." Except there was no newer firmware anywhere at Cybernet's website.

OK, Plan B; I contact their support desk: maybe they don't have BIOS updates posted to avoid to have to deal with random people trying to update the BIOS (like me): the support tech who answered my inquiry gave me a one sentence answer: "The Elite-II does not support PXE booting." Really? In the Owner's Manual, Section 1.7 on Page 4 Cybernet specifically mentions PXE booting as a means to put an OS on the PC.

Alrighty then, Plan C; I replied to the support's email "solution" (for which I really do not expect an answer back) basically telling them to read their own manual. I checked the BIOS date: 04/11/2002, and went ahead and made a copy of it. Then I went looking around for other SIS630S-based machines...as it turns out, ASUS made quite a few Boards for Compaq and HP using this chipset. I finally found a board, the ASUS CUSI-M, which had the same network adapter - and a newer version of the SIS900 PXE firmware.

I used a utility called awdbedit.exe to view and extract the ROM files from the ASUS CUSI-M BIOS. I then used CBROM 2.15 to insert the new Network PXE ROM into the OEM Elite BIOS. A slightly nervous BIOS flash followed by what seemed like an eternity as it rebooted...then a BIG sigh of relief after I heard it POST correctly, which was followed by an instantly successful PXE boot.

No PXE support indeed.... Bastages.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

5/5 for effort and results there MMM
    FT.

Comment

Great job! I hate that, when companies will not support thier product and flat out lie to you.
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Well, I feel for them (Cybernet) to a degree. Most help desk people get their queues from developers, who often as not rotate through rather quickly....

I found an even newer SIS 900 PXE ROM at the SIS site (they thoughtfully bundled it with their driver suite)...I CBROM'd it in and it works, too....

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't look for an SIS630S chipset base block and see if I can merge it into the old BIOS...keep all of the old PCI vectors the same...
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

:bow: the 1337 H@XOR!

Seriouly man, that's badass!
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

neccesity is the mother of invention.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
              Well, I feel for them (Cybernet) to a degree. Most help desk people get their queues from developers, who often as not rotate through rather quickly....
              Even so, a good tech support agent would have verified with their senior technicians just to be sure otherwise I consider that to be bad tech support.

Good job none the less.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Or, you know, would have read the manual.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

excellent workaround MMM. I was looking at those awhile back myself. You'll have to tell us how well it works for you.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                  X