CRT monitor focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT monitor focus

I've made my '03 SyncMaster 763MB look better than new by spending a few minutes tweaking the focus controls inside the back of the monitor.

If you've got an older monitor that's starting to look kinda soft (or always looked soft) and it doesn't have a user control for focus, you might consider opening it up and adjusting it if you know what you're doing, or finding someone who can help, as it can really make a big difference if it's not set right. Take a look at the monitor repair FAQ if you're reasonably skilled at that kinda stuff.

Of course, if you mess something up and irradiate everyone within a mile with 1000 times the lethal limit of X-Rays, consider yourself warned.

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
    I've made my '03 SyncMaster 763MB look better than new by spending a few minutes tweaking the focus controls inside the back of the monitor.

If you've got an older monitor that's starting to look kinda soft (or always looked soft) and it doesn't have a user control for focus, you might consider opening it up and adjusting it if you know what you're doing, or finding someone who can help, as it can really make a big difference if it's not set right. Take a look at the monitor repair FAQ if you're reasonably skilled at that kinda stuff.

Of course, if you mess something up and irradiate everyone within a mile with 1000 times the lethal limit of X-Rays, consider yourself warned.
    radiation is the least of your worries if you messing around back there. follow proper electrical safety procedure!
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
      radiation is the least of your worries if you messing around back there. follow proper electrical safety procedure!
      That's why they make plastic screwdrivers for monitor focus adjustments.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah, 'tis not a good idea to poke randomly at a operating flyback transformer with a metal screwdriver...

Comment

Even if it has big plastic handle?

Comment

You do it and let us know where to send the flowers.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
              Even if it has big plastic handle?
              mmmmmm....arcs.

Unless you absolutely know what you are doing, find a plastic screwdriver, leave your left hand in your pocket, and wear a grounding strap on the right wrist. 15000V of shock is not fun.

Comment

Or leave the monitor unplugged for a few weeks before you start.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  Or leave the monitor unplugged for a few weeks before you start.
                  That may or may not work. Some of those HV sections in CRTs can hold a charge for a looooooooooong time.

Comment

Heh, at uni i only had a donated 14in crt which could do 800x600.
                    The only problem, was that the screen went yellow dominant colour, and i had to hit the top of the screen to get it back to normal.
                    After a few days i had the case off the monitor, and was directly hitting the top of the screen with a Whisky tumbler to get the screen colour back to normal..

I also had a radiator leak, and 1cm of water permanently over the floorboards
                    LOL, i loved uni

edit: spelling
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                    X