OK....who spiked the water??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK....who spiked the water??

Supposedly art imitates life, but all evidence suggests a more cyclical relationship. Live-action role playing (LARPing), where fantasy enthusiasts live out their favorite stories and characters – medieval, vampire, “Lord of the Rings,” or something else – is one thing. With LARPing the fantasy is restricted to a controlled environment governed by rules. In short, live-action role playing is a game. Even superhero-based LARP groups subject themselves to specific rules and limitations, drawing a clear line between play and everyday living. But what happens when real-life superheroes emerge in our cities, fighting crime in full costumes with bona fide (in most cases) super hero names?
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Alright, as with most oddball psycho things like this I have a theory. Would adults be so into roleplaying if their real lives were satisfying? Since most roleplayers are somewhat less than attractive, this probably has a lot to do with it, but the unreasonable expectations of the opposite sex, fueled by soap opera actors and supermodels, have done their part. Another thing.. when people have a less than satisfactory social fabric to fall back upon, they may decide to invent worlds where things make sense in a way most congenial to one's psyche. Yep, the big M wreaks havoc again.

Comment

hehe, if you read the related article where they interview Mr Silent, maybe there is something in the water, but, in reality all they are doing is bringing attention to a long forgotten concept of helping others less fotunate then yourself.

They are just doing in a way that helps promote a good cause.

HowStuffWorks has been explaining how things work to curious minds since 1998. Providing factual, unbiased content that's fun to read and makes difficult topics easy to understand.

Translation kvh, it has zip to do with multiculturalizim, and a lot to do with building a sense of community.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

No, no, KvH is right. It is the big M rearing it's ugly head.

Damn you Malarkey! Damn you!
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
        X