No announcement yet.

Belgium picks OpenOffice format (.odf)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgium picks OpenOffice format (.odf)

In a blow to Microsoft, Belgium's government departments will be instructed to use an open file format for internal communications.

The OpenDocument Format (ODF) is to be the standard format for exchanging documents within the government, according to a proposal that is expected to be approved by Belgium's Council of Ministers on Friday. The plan increases the pressure from governments worldwide on Microsoft to embrace open standards.

From September 2008 on, all document exchanges within the services of the Belgian government will have to be in an open, standard format, according to the proposal. ODF is the only accepted standard in the proposal. Earlier drafts of the Belgian proposal had put ODF and Microsoft's own Open XML format (which is to be included in Office 2007) on equal footing.

Peter Strickx, general manager for architecture and standards of Fedict, the organization that coordinates the ICT policy of the Belgian federal government, commented on the proposal in an interview with ZDNet Belgium.

"Increasingly, we are seeing e-mail and electronic documents being used in communication between citizens and the government and between companies and the government," Strickx said. "To avoid becoming dependent on any particular supplier, we are moving towards open standards." A draft of ODF was accepted by the International Standards Organization (ISO) in May.

From September 2008 onwards, Belgium's federal services must use ODF when exchanging documents, though other formats will still be allowed for internal use, Strickx confirmed. However, Belgium is leaving the door open for Open XML.

"Open XML today does not exist, as there is no product on the market that supports it. Once it is available as a product and proposed to the ISO, it is possible that the format will also be accepted," Strickx said. However, there will be an additional hurdle: Open XML must also be proven to be easily convertible to and from ODF.

This would appear to leave Microsoft with a simple choice: Convince the Belgian government that Open XML is an open standard well on the way to ISO-approval, or support ODF. The latter may be the simpler task, as the OpenDocument Foundation is already working on a plug-in for Microsoft Office that would add ODF support.

However, Strickx would not confirm that the Belgian government is envisaging a migration away from Microsoft Office and toward software that supports ODF, such as Open Office. "We are analyzing the impact" of the move to an open format for document exchange on the internal software usage, Strickx said.

Belgium would be the first country to opt for open document standards in this way.

According to Strickx, the Belgian strategy is likely to gain a following. He claimed France and Denmark are considering similar moves.
    Uhhh...owwwww.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sweet! Take that MicroSquash!
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Wow, so basically the Belgian government wants everyone in their country to... not... be... able to work with any of their official documents?

WAY TO GO! WOOOO!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Wow, so basically the Belgian government wants everyone in their country to... not... be... able to work with any of their official documents?

WAY TO GO! WOOOO!
          as opposed to not being able to open the official documents unless they have the latest version of 'office'

news flash, even microsoft are sponsoring a plugin for office to open them.

look at the wookie.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, MS is approving/accepting/sponsering an ODF plugin for Office, though last I read it wasn't being produced by them for anything older than Office 2007 (the final version of O2k7 is supposed to have native ODF support, though as of Beta 2 it does not). It's an open source project MS is sponsering on SourceForge. Which would mean, once the official version 1.0 is released (and there are several plugins made by third parties that are supposedly fully functional and ready for prime time) then ODF would be supported by the vast majority of computers via MS Office, Star Office and OpenOffice, with Apple iWorks rumored to be working on ODF support (they don't announce anything until it's ready to be released) and Corel WordPerfect announced that ODF support is under construction and will be available in the near future.

Did I miss any of the major word processors?

Microsoft had previously said that it would not be supporting the OpenDocument …

Download OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in for Office for free. The goal for this project is to provide translators to allow for interoperability between applications based on ODF (OpenDocument) 1.1 standards and ECMA Office OpenXML based Office applications.

Jammrock
            Last edited by Jammrock; 9 July 2006, 19:57.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X