AMD Dual-Core Optimization Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Dual-Core Optimization Utility

AMD has silently released a utility that fixes time stamp counter (TSC) issues with dual-core AMD processors such as the Athlon 64 X2 and Opteron. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer utility is a driver that synchronizes the time stamp counter on both processor cores and improves game compatibility and performance. Time stamp counter issues occur in older games that are incompatible with multithreading and would run too fast or out of sync.

Issues also occur in newer games and applications that have compatibility issues with processor affinity like Need For Speed: Most Wanted. Affinity issues typically required users to bring up the task manager and set the processor affinity manually or performance would suffer dramatically.

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer utility could possibly be the rumored “Reverse Hyper-Threading” patch that would improve single thread application and games performance by having dual-core processors show up as a single core processor in applications...
    Link to direct download: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...es/TscSync.zip

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Strange as they already have a driver for this.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

MANY THANKS!
      This will do my dual dual Opteron machine good

Comment

Has anyone tried it yet? Does it really improve gaming performance and such?
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I have it installed, but have not had time to test. It only improves performance on games and video applications that "bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction." What games those are beyond need for speed I do not know.

Comment

Yes but do you need it if already got the driver installed???
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

yes, if you play games that seem unusually slow.

Comment

Working...
              X