• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Challenger Returns

Muscle car is reborn

Dodge Challenger is back

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Chrysler is crashing the muscle-car party with plans to build a production version of the Dodge Challenger coupe that debuted as a retro-styled concept car in January at the Detroit auto show.

The automaker plans to herald the return of the Challenger at the Pepsi 400 in Daytona, Fla., on Saturday, according to people familiar with the plans.

The Challenger concept, a rear-wheel drive coupe, drew raves from enthusiasts for its old-school looks and growling 425-horsepower V-8 engine.

"It's a pure retro car," said Csaba Csere, editor in chief of Car and Driver magazine. "It's a dead ringer for the original 1970 Challenger."

Chrysler plans to build the Dodge Challenger off the same basic chassis as its rear-drive Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Both of those vehicles are built in Brampton, Ontario.

That will save both money and time. The Challenger could go into production by 2008, said one person familiar with the plans.

The Challenger is returning into what may be a new golden age for American muscle cars. The Ford Mustang has become a smash hit since a redesign last year that paid homage to classic versions of the pony car in the 1960s.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 June 2006, 19:10.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wonder what the displacement is going to be... probably a 10 litre engine
    Because that's the only way American made vehicles can get the horse power.

Nice looking car though

Comment

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

That German accent sure sounds fake.

That's the 6 liter Hemi used in the 300C SRT8

too bad it doesn't have quite the same sound.. that would make it all worthwhile

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
          Wonder what the displacement is going to be... probably a 10 litre engine
          Because that's the only way American made vehicles can get the horse power.
          Oh so freakin' WRONG!!

Base engine (my guess): the 4.7 liter HO Powertech: V8, 260 hp (195 kW), 330 ft/lb (448 N/m) of torque.

High end (not a guess): the 6.1 liter SRT HEMI: V8, 425 bhp (318 kW), 420 lb/ft (569 N/m) of torque. This HEMI's output exceeds that of the legendary 1966 MOPAR Street HEMI, which was a freakin' BEAST. It's also the engine in the concept car.

My cousin (DCX engineer) says 0-60mph/100kmph in ~4.5 - 5.0 seconds for the 6.1 HEMI.

Another goodie coming is a 6.4 liter SRT HEMI 505 bhp crate engine for racers & rodders. Imagine that SOB after some tweaking

def:

HEMI:
          (HEM -e) adj. MOPAR in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then just for relaxation

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 June 2006, 21:11.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Audi is putting out motors that are over 100hp per litre, for example the 4.2L on the new RS4, 4.163L and puts out 420hp. No turbos or anything. That motor (the HEMI) puts out a 69.7hp per litre. I agree with Elie. Don't think the car is that good looking though. Very little innovation there, if any.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

"Chrysler plans to build the Dodge Challenger off the same basic chassis as its rear-drive Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger."

WTF. So it's a 300 coupe?
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

1. retro is 'in' in the US, and the Challenger is a ringer for its 1970 namesake.

2. No...it's based on the 300's basic underpinnings, but is very different in many other ways between specific models. This is a common practice in auto manufacturing.

Example: the 1965 Mustang was built on the Comets underpinnings. Not much similarity in the end products though.

3. you agree that it'll need a 10 liter engine ?!? With the 6.1L it pulls 0-60 as fast or faster than the RS4, and that's limited by a rev governor in the computer

4. and how much torque does the RS4 produce? A relatively puny 317 lb/ft vs 420 lb/ft.

Torque is more important than bhp/revs in the vast majority of street situations, esp. if you don't like changing clutches. High revving engines are tough on clutches. BHP/revs do rule the track, but how much track driving do you do?

Also notable is that the 6.1 HEMI produces its max at a leisurly 6,000 rpm (rev governor) while the Audi has to spin up to 8,250 rpm to output less. Again this is better for the street.

Less revs also = less wear as a rule, but if you reprogram the HEMI's limiter & tweak it a bit you can have all kinds of fun.

Of course this arguement won't mean squat once electric motors become the rule. Electrics can make for a very fast car.

Ex: Tesla Motors: http://www.teslamotors.com/

* 2-seater roadster configuration
                * Soft-top standard, optional hard top
                * Tesla-designed 3-phase, 4-pole AC induction motor, rated at 230 HP, max torque at 0 rpm; redline at 13,500 rpm
                * Costs about a penny per mile to drive, assuming a time-of-use meter and off-peak charging (about 2 pennies per mile otherwise)
                * Zero emissions

0-60: 4s
                130+ mph
                250 miles/charge

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 June 2006, 23:43.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

...and how much fuel does it drink? I agree, it looks kinda neat, though too macho for me. I am very sure I have a penis even without such a car
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    That German accent sure sounds fake.
                    You seem to have overlooked the fact that this guy is Dr. Zetsche, the German CEO of DaimlerChrysler, Mr Expert-on-all-things-German.
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Example: the 1965 Mustang was built on the Comets underpinnings. Not much similarity in the end products though.
                      Actually, the 'stang was based off the Falcon's 2 door chassis (FoMoCo's first basic 'unibody' design)..nevertheless, same idea. Very little resemblance to it's forefather...

And this new Challenger revs my motor. To bad Plymouth is gone, I'd like to see a 'Cuda variant

I've had this car as my desktop wallpaper since it first showed at the auto shows...
                      Last edited by Kruzin; 1 July 2006, 03:10.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by az
                        You seem to have overlooked the fact that this guy is Dr. Zetsche, the German CEO of DaimlerChrysler, Mr Expert-on-all-things-German.
                        You sure he's not an actor?

Sorry, he just seems like one..

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                          Actually, the 'stang was based off the Falcon's 2 door chassis (FoMoCo's first basic 'unibody' design)..nevertheless, same idea. Very little resemblance to it's forefather...
                          Falcon/Comet/Mustang = same chassis

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by az
                            ...and how much fuel does it drink? I agree, it looks kinda neat, though too macho for me. I am very sure I have a penis even without such a car
                            Chrysler is fielding a new electronic variable displacement technology that can change a cylinders status in 40 milliseconds, mainly for saving fuel in low-demand situations. This is much more advanced than GM's horrid 4-6-8 tech of many years ago.

Besides; if someone opts for the 6.1L firebreather I doubt the mileage is a major consideration

Since when does penis status matter? I know as many girls with lead feet as I do guys...my daughter Sabrina chief among them. She steals the keys to her brothers street rod all the time

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 July 2006, 09:00.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              Oh so freakin' WRONG!!

Base engine (my guess): the 4.7 liter HO Powertech: V8, 260 hp (195 kW), 330 ft/lb (448 N/m) of torque.

High end (not a guess): the 6.1 liter SRT HEMI: V8, 425 bhp (318 kW), 420 lb/ft (569 N/m) of torque. This HEMI's output exceeds that of the legendary 1966 MOPAR Street HEMI, which was a freakin' BEAST. It's also the engine in the concept car.

My cousin (DCX engineer) says 0-60mph/100kmph in ~4.5 - 5.0 seconds for the 6.1 HEMI.

Another goodie coming is a 6.4 liter SRT HEMI 505 bhp crate engine for racers & rodders. Imagine that SOB after some tweaking

def:

HEMI:
                              (HEM -e) adj. MOPAR in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then just for relaxation

Dr. Mordrid

Doc, I was over exagurating! The point is, it's still 6.1 Litres to produce the horsepower.

In today's gas prices and with the technology we have, the challenge is to produce the most horepower per litre like Audi, BMW, and even Maserati which at one point produced 150HP per Litre so to calculate to produce 450 HP a Maserati engine would only be 3.0Litres not 6.1.

Again, WHY DOES THE VIPER have to be 8.1 Litres to produce 500HP?
                              Why does the Mustang ned to be 5.0 Litres to produce 225HP at the time, my car produces a bit more than that with only 2.5 Litres with tons of torque.

My point is the big three American giants have no regard to fuel consumption and the prices of gas, they think it's free.

Regards,
                              Elie

Comment

Working...
                              X