WEP vs. WPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEP vs. WPA

In the interest of making my WiFi network more secure I have been reading up onthe encryption protocols for WiFi networks. At the moment I use a Pre-shared TKIP WPA key. My work uses a 128bit WEP key (which I wish i knew!).

I am concerned that there are quite a few wireless networks just out of range of my own at home and I would like to ensure that my network is as secure as possible. I already hide the SSID and I have enabled MAC address filtering. What other steps could I take?
    I do have a smoothwall box, webserver and fileserver. Is there such a thing as a RADIUS client for windows that would help, or would that be overkill?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Breaking a 128 bit WEP key in 3 minutes: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2005/0...your_wlan_too/

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Go WPA with a wicked key for sure.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 June 2006, 23:14.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Problem is I've got two peices of wireless equipment that don't support wpa. Rather annoying in this day and age.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I upgraded the elder laptop with a Linksys PC card adapter. Granted this would be tougher on a PDA though. Upgrade time mebbe?

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sharing is caring..
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Wireless LAN security hall of shame mentions both MAC filtering and hiding SSID, WEP gets honorable mention.
              RC Agent
              AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
              AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
              AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Backtrack works very well, but look at the base hardware overhead needed for the attack to succeed quickly: Two machines running wireless adapters...

SSIDs are really kind of handy: they tell you WHAT you are connecting to. I leave mine turned on...

I disagree that MAC filtering is pointless: It is a viable way for a home user to control inadvertent access: most home users do not leave their wireless systems on for extended periods of time...limiting exposure to a passing sniffer, and keeping the casual war driver at bay.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

this looks interesting
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I have mine set up with:
                    - MAC address filtering
                    - hidden SSID, with a name that doesn't really refer to me
                    - WPA2

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                    X