OPINION PIECE: High Definition DVD Is A Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPINION PIECE: High Definition DVD Is A Failure

I'm not typically a doom and gloom kind of guy - really, I'm rather optimistic. But this pending format release/war is simply the most…

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

"Steve Jobs could sell a fart provided he sued a public Mac forum for talking about it before its release"

love it! IMHO article is dead on the money!

--wally.

Comment

Agreed.

Until they can resolve the upsampling and quality of legacy SD issue HD player sales will go nowhere. There is also the problem of the players taking forever to reboot.

IMO the download & burn to user provided media model makes the most sense for distribution, especially as more people move to broadband/DSL internet connections.

The whole situation is D.U.M.B.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 June 2006, 07:04.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Is anyone else having problems reading this link due to formatting issues? I have to scroll back and forth too much to read it!

- Mark
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I cannot remember what company off hand is doing it, but they are making HD/BluRay in one players.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Haven't read it. Bur franky the whole HD DVD logo doesen't look very good and is quite confusing .

I have a HD ready tv and a dvd player. Therfore I shoud be able to play HD DVD's ... oh I cant.

Should have chosen a different name. Should have learnt from DVD-A!

Bluray sounds different!

Comment

I don't think it's a failure so much in terms of technology as it is in terms of timing.

I have an hd cam as well as an hdtv, and its wonderful stuff to watch.... blows my old dv cam away. This whole hd thing however, has kept us on the edge of our seat for FAR too long. The industry has been changing so painfully slow, it has allowed us to glorify it beyond a reasonable point. And as far as blu-ray is concerned.... well, I can remember reading an article dated 2002 that stated "..... blu-ray should be hitting the market within months....."

Both blu-ray and hddvd are nothing more (and have always been nothing more) than answers to storage problems, and the painfullly slow developement has allowed some incredible glorification. It's not a wonder why the movie industry has shyed away from the topic. As far as Hollywood is concerned... dvd is a wonderful thing... it's cheap, it's easy, it's technology that is here and real, and just about every houshold has a player. How is it possible for hd to compete with that..... at this stage anyway.

What scares me is the question as to weather or not they will ever get the whole hd thing together before someone comes up with an entirely new concept. I would rather NOT see the movie/television industry become like computers.... changing so fast that it's impossiblt to keep an up-to-date system for more than a month.... boy.... I think of all the perfectly good and usable computers I have junked merely because of the speed of the changing technology!!!!

Comment

"Best Buy" electronic store CEO says high definition DVD format war could spell "disaster."

Jerry Jones
                I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                X