• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chameleon snake

and it's poisonous;

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Most reptiles and amphibians can change colour to some extent. It is, however, different from the chameleon. The latter, along with some amphibians and other lizards, uses its colour change for camouflage. This snake did the opposite: it went whitish-yellow when placed in a dark bucket. Why?

Incidentally, although it is venomous, it is not dangerous. It is fairly small and back-fanged. It feeds on small amphibians, which it grabs and chews its venom into them and then waits for death, taking several minutes, with the beastie in its mouth before starting to swallow it.

We have chameleons in the garden. They really are masters at hiding themselves and can change colour in ten seconds and their apparently slow, plodding, gait can be deceptively fast.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I had a mated pair of Jackson's chameleons as pets when I was in college. These are the ones where the male has triceratops-style horns. Built a nice, large terrarium & they lived long well fed lives. They were actually quite tame.

Also had a 6'-plus pet green iguana I raises from a hatchling. He was very tame as well, harness/leash trained liked to nap on my shoulder

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 June 2006, 01:32.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
        Most reptiles and amphibians can change colour to some extent. It is, however, different from the chameleon. The latter, along with some amphibians and other lizards, uses its colour change for camouflage. This snake did the opposite: it went whitish-yellow when placed in a dark bucket. Why?
        Could be that it in this case the snake switched from flight to fight and decided to make itself as visible large as possible

hard to look big and scary if your oponent can't see you
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
        X