• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless issues...WTF

Ok boys and girls, try to answer this one for me:

I have two laptops:

A Dell Inspiron 600M and its replacement a Inspiron E1705

The 600M had Windows XP on it, and now has SUSE 10.1 installed (need it for my Linux class I'm taking now) and has an Intel based Wireless B/G adapter

The E1705E has Win XP Media center with a Dell Wireless G adapter

I posted about my issues before with my wireless network, esp with the speed I wasn't getting with it. Both the 600M and E1705 where lucky to top out at 200 KB/sec download (can get 6-4 times that on the wired side of my network) from Easynews.com, at anytime of the day (my current connection is 30Mbit down/2Mbit up) They are connected to Linksys WGR54G wireless router.

Well I get SUSE installed on the 600M this morning and for shits and giggles I start downloading something from Easynews.com and the wireless speed is now double of what I'm getting on my windows based machines. Its plugging along at 440 KB/sec as I'm posting this..

So the thing thats going though my head is either the Windows Wireless drivers suck really bad or there is something seriously wrong with my settings on that machine. I checked everything and it seems fine on the e1705, but the performance is still not there.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Have you tried the Intel reference wireless 2200b/g drivers instead of the Dell modified/hacked/broken ones? My guess is the Dell drivers f'ed something up with the transmit power to try to extend battery life.

Comment

Working...
    X