• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US pirate Party

It was bound to happen

US pirate party

Link to Wired article
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Woo hoo! Looks like I don't have to be an independent any more!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Getting rid of Patents? Dunno if I care for that.

Comment

Have to agree. Extremism in any regard is a bad thing, and that applies to those who want to completely rid the world of patents. The real problem is the manner in which patents are evaluated and how the system as a whole is implemented. Patent reform is the answer, especially in the area of software, which the US Patent Office was wholly ill-equiped to handle properly.

But that's somewhat OT, and to that I think if they can get their 'sh*t' together, this new party might do some good. That's a big 'if' however.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
          Have to agree. Extremism in any regard is a bad thing, and that applies to those who want to completely rid the world of patents. The real problem is the manner in which patents are evaluated and how the system as a whole is implemented. Patent reform is the answer, especially in the area of software, which the US Patent Office was wholly ill-equiped to handle properly.

But that's somewhat OT, and to that I think if they can get their 'sh*t' together, this new party might do some good. That's a big 'if' however.

The swedish pirate party does not want to abolish patents and copyright anymore, just reform them
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Submarine and sniper patenting must go bye bye, that's for sure. I don't mind if people hoard patent, like IBM does, but at least IBM does something with them besides sit around with a HUGE legal team waiting for someone to infringe on your unused patents so you can sue an innovator for money. I think the first patent reform should be, "If you don't do anything with your patent, you lose it so someone else can put it to use." And that doesn't mean they have to make a product, but at least try to sell it to someone who wants to.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That gets to one of the root problems with software patents (and others) - a lot of the groups hoarding the patents aren't even invested in the areas in which the patents pertain. They simply buy up patents and wait for someone to infringe.

So yes, I definitely agree there should be a 'use' clause. To that end there also needs to be something done with companies who hold patents but don't pursue enforcement against infringments until they are placed in a losing position.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

The salient move would be to redefine corporate "personhood." If a patent or copyright must belong to a flesh-and-blood person, and not some legally defined corporate "person" who has rights but no responsibilities, it would solve a lot of things. Now, if you are a corporation, you can commit mass murder and your punishment is an easily afforded fine. Imagine if, as an individual, you would be allowed to callously murder the person blocking your progress in traffic if you would only pay a $100 fine. Corporate personhood has got to go.

Comment

Working...
                X