Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to kill (make it fubar) DVD-RW drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kill (make it fubar) DVD-RW drive?

Yeah, weird thread...probably you want to know why I want something like that - apparently I have bad luck of having in possesion one of small percentage of drives that fail early. Early, but not totally. Apparently it reads everything almost as good/fast, but with weird sounds and longer time to start spinning. However, no succesfull burning is possible. And also it shows in BIOS only as "ATAPI CDROM device".

And since I remember from the last time (with CDROM) what is the mentality of salesmen/etc. here (basically: "if it works at all then it's fine, eventually we'll try to repair that drive 2 or 3 times", probably due to mentality of the users: "windows crashes constantly? CDs won't read? Oh, that's OK, it's just the way things are")...question. Plea for help. Because I need good drive sooner than in 2 months.

How to kill it? Totally. And in a way that won't draw any suspicion.
    Yep, perhaps immorall, but I can't complicate my vacation with one more thing...

Get an old IBM (Pentium 2 or 3) that has onboard grafix, conect the DVD drive (or any other drive you want to kill)by an IDE cable to the feature conectors and second COM pins that sits togheter on the mobo. power on and you got a dead drive

some years ago 10(!) people brought their IBM's in after having bought a burner and done exactly that
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
    X