• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanoparticles can cause neurological damage

even those in sun creams;

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Not just nanoparticles but there is growing evidence that transdermal uptake of the molecules of many organic substances may also cause neuropathies. One case in point is 1-bromopropane or n-propyl bromide. This is an industrial organic solvent (also used as a process agent or intermediate in the pharma industry) with a fairly low acute toxicity and a medium semi-chronic/chronic toxicty. Recent evidence has shown that uptake through the skin of the extremities may cause severe permanent or semi-permanent lesions of the peripheral nervous system, transmittable through the CNS to the brain in severe cases. The mechanism is still unknown but the initial phase may be due to destruction of the synaptic vesicles but how this is transmitted along the neurons is a mystery. However, the effects of organic bromides, taken internally, are well known as sedatives, but it is only in the past 2 or 3 years that the effects through the skin have been studied.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It's like those who use DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) as a topical analgesic. Yes, it can relieve many conditions but it will also carry any impurities dissolved in it through the skin. Given that DMSO is primarily an industrial solvent you really have to be careful about where you get it

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 June 2006, 11:12.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X