Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Reads

Neither Here nor There by Bill Bryson

I've just finished this book and found it absolutely delightful. i just wondered upon it in the travel section of my book store and all the way through laughed outloud. after i finished i went directly to the book store and bought two more books by Mr. Bryson.

The Lost Continent
    Notes from a Small Island currently reading

I cant wait to go buy In a Sunburned Country, my books'o'million didnt have it though. but anyway the point is, i found bill bryson to be a wonderful writer that no one had introduced me too yet so i'm passing along my thoughts just in case youre a book reader and youve never heard of the chap.
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. It's an older book, 80's, and hard to find, but if you come by, it's a hilarious read. Especially if you're a fan of the asian culture. Your local library would be the best spot.

Any of the Brian Herburt Dune books ... avoid like the plague. Read the summaries on Wikipedia, they are less boring.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Bryson is one of my favorite reads. Liz, you should check out A Short History of Nearly Everything and In A Sunburned Country was pretty good based on the parts I managed to read (friend had it on his coffee table after a trip to that country).

I'd also suggest I'm a Stranger Here Myself, which is a great read for anyone planning a visit to the US (if you're an English speaker) or anyone who's already here. What better way to see America than through the eyes of an American who hasn't hadn't been here in 20 years or so.
      Last edited by Jessterw; 17 June 2006, 11:03.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
          Bryson is one of my favorite reads. Liz, you should check out A Short History of Nearly Everything and In A Sunburned Country was pretty good based on the parts I managed to read (friend had it on his coffee table after a trip to that country).

I'd also suggest I'm a Stranger Here Myself, which is a great read for anyone planning a visit to the US (if you're an English speaker) or anyone who's already here. What better way to see America than through the eyes of an American who hasn't hadn't been here in 20 years or so.
          I concur. Thats a great book. A read that enlightens.

Oh. And Mr. Brysons: Troublesome words is pretty good as well - especially for being a dictionary!!

~~DUkeP~~

Comment

Despite a sprinkling of minor errors and exaggeration, one of the most fascinating Bryson books is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mot...gue_%28book%29. I also love a Walk in the Woods, as I delight in the Appalachians.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
            X