Liquid armor coming soon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid armor coming soon....

(make sure you watch the video on the above page)

Flexible full-body protection that could save our troops' lives and limbs is at the top of the list for many researchers and technology companies. One such product could soon make its way to Iraq. As this ScienCentral News video explains, the secret ingredient is a liquid that could turn lightweight material into full-body armor.
    >
    >
    A new "liquid armor" could be the solution for protecting the parts of the body that aren't currently covered by standard-issue ballistic vests – arms and legs, where many of these devastating and life-threatening injuries occur. Co-developed by two research teams – one led by Norman Wagner at the University of Delaware, and the other led by Eric Wetzel at the U.S. Army Research Lab in Aberdeen, MD – the liquid technology will soon lead to light, flexible full-body armor.

The liquid - called shear thickening fluid is actually a mixture of hard nanoparticles and nonevaporating liquid. It flows normally under low-energy conditions, but when agitated or hit with an impact it stiffens and behaves like a solid. This temporary stiffening occurs less than a millisecond after impact, and is caused by the nanoparticles forming tiny clusters inside the fluid. "The particles jam up forming a log jam structure that prevents things from penetrating through them," Wagner explains.

Wagner and Wetzel developed a way to specially treat ballistic fabrics, such as Kevlar, with the liquid, making them dramatically more resistant to puncture and much better at reducing blunt trauma.
    >
    >
    The treatment of the fabric prevents the fibers from spreading apart or "windowing," which keeps sharp objects from entering. That means that not only would materials treated with shear thickening fluids be better against conventional threats such as bullets, but would also resist puncture from shrapnel. The materials would also remain light – only 20 percent heavier after treatment - and flexible, which means they could be used for much-needed protection of the limbs.

"We can make thin layers of material for use on the arms and legs that remain flexible under normal motion, but become rigid and absorb energy when impacted by a ballistic threat or a knife," Wagner says.

U.S. manufacturer Armor Holdings recently licensed the technology and plans to release its first products by the end of the year.

Wagner says there could also be many civilian applications – like protecting people during car crashes, or making tires sturdier.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by NetSnake
      Wow!
      Indeed
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

That would hurt. A lot. A whole hell of a lot.

At least with hard plates you disperse the ballistic impact across a little bit larger of a surface area.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
          That would hurt. A lot. A whole hell of a lot.
          I was thinking the same thing.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Well isn't that better then the object making the impact going through you?
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

To a point the fabric becomes a rigid shield. How rigid depends on how thick it is to begin with.

This tech is also slated to be part of the 'Future Force Warrior' concept, which also includes optical camouflage. The most recent tech for this;

Researchers are laying out the blueprint and calling for help in developing the exotic materials needed to build a real cloak.

Sounds a lot like the 'thermoptic camouflage' from "Ghost in the Shell".

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 June 2006, 15:00.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I wonder if one was wearing pants made of this, if when he were to jump down from say a 3 foot height, if the pants would firm up and not let him bend his knees to absorb the impact.

Comment

1. knee flexion would occur after the impact.

2. insufficient impact w/knee flexion to stiffen the shear thickening fluid.

Example of a shear thickening fluid: cornstarch in water 50/50. Stir slowly and it's liquid. Stir fast or strike it and the mix stiffens very rapidly.

This new material is many times faster & denser.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Is this similar to the stuff they used in the Olympic Ski Team's suits?
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes;

but the military spec stuff is much stronger.

Might also want to read these as there are two technologies;

Liquid Armor In Two Flavors: Shear Thickening and Magnetorheological re: Greg Bear on 4/26/2004: Science Fiction in the News

AKROD v2 - Active Knee Rehabilitation Device Human Trials re: Various on 9/12/2005: Science Fiction in the News

IMO this is big bux stuff even outside the military. I can see it being used in everything from sporting goods to affordable personal body armor, not to mention motorcycle/auto safety gear and medical applications.

I'm putting the major companies working on this tech into my portfolio ASAP, if only as placeholders pending field results.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 June 2006, 23:07.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X