Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA to answer Black Hole Paradox

Wiki article on black hole paradox....
    The black hole information paradox results from the combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It was a contentious subject for science since it violated a commonly assumed tenet of science—that information cannot be destroyed. See Liouville's theorem (Hamiltonian) and unitary transformation.

In 1975, Stephen Hawking and Jacob Bekenstein showed that black holes should slowly radiate away energy, which poses a problem. From the no hair theorem one would expect the Hawking radiation to be completely independent of the material entering the black hole. However, if the material entering the black hole were a pure quantum state, the transformation of that state into the mixed state of Hawking radiation would destroy information about the original quantum state. This violates Liouville's theorem and presents a physical paradox.
    Seems the problem has been resolved;
    Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory for research are hosting a media teleconference at 1 p.m. EDT Wednesday, June 21, to explain how black holes light up the universe.

Reporters must call the Chandra Press Office at 617-496-7998 or email mwatzke@cfa.harvard.edu to participate. Images and graphics supporting the briefing will be posted at the start of the briefing on the Web at:

Audio of the event will be streamed live on the Web at:

Briefing participants:

- Jon Miller, assistant professor, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

- John Raymond, astrophysicist, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, Mass.

- Meg Urry, professor, Yale University, New Haven, Conn.

A video file about the discovery will air on NASA TV. For NASA TV downlink and scheduling information, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/ntv
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 June 2006, 11:11.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Do you really believe that NASA can answer the black hole paradox?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

With Chandra and the research team they have working on it, yes....it's quite possible. Early indications are they've found that disk accretion into black holes is a fundamentally magnetic process.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 June 2006, 11:27.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        With Chandra and the research team they have working on it, yes....it's quite possible. Early indications are they've found that disk accretion into black holes is a fundamentally magnetic process.

Dr. Mordrid
        From what I understand is that the more an object becomes denser the more gravitational pull it will have. So the more stuff a black hole can pull in, the more 'pull' it'll have.
        Last edited by ZokesPro; 16 June 2006, 16:37. Reason: spelling

Comment

So it's been thought, but if accretion is primarily magnetic....

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
            From what I understand is that the more an object becomes denser the more gravitational pull it will have. So the more stuff a black hole can pull in, the more 'pull' it'll have.
            I always thought that the mass mattered(no pun intended).

Comment

@Doc and HJ: I don't quite understand what you mean.

Comment

All I know theres a black hole in my wallet. If I don't spend money disappears if I do spend at least I've got something to show for it. If I've got a women and if I'm lucky I may have something to pull down to show for it.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The density is the result of the gravitational pull due to the mass. Say a star in a distant system collapsed due to running out of nuclear fuel. Even though it is denser all the planets and other orbiting bodies would remain in the same orbits.

Comment

They've been presuming that accretion (sucking in of matter from the black holes disk) is mainly gravitational and therefore a result of warped spacetime. If accretion is not primarily gravitational but is primarily magnetic then a reworking is in order.

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                    The density is the result of the gravitational pull due to the mass. Say a star in a distant system collapsed due to running out of nuclear fuel. Even though it is denser all the planets and other orbiting bodies would remain in the same orbits.
                    This occurs at much larger scales as well. Most astrophysicists now belive that the first step in galaxy formation is the birth of a supermassive black hole, some with a density of many millions of solar masses. This acquires a huge accretion disk, some of which gets sucked in forming a quasar and polar jets.

Eventually the radiation pressure pushes the outer parts of the quasar disk away from the black hole, starving its quasar and turning off the jets. At this point the rest of the proto-galaxy settles down and it becomes what we are more familiar with.

Even so; at the heart of a galaxy a monster sleeps, just waiting for some gas cloud or star cluster to come near enough to turn the quasar back on.

Our Milky Way and Andromeda included. In fact ours lit up just a bit a few years ago.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 June 2006, 16:39.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Depends on how far away they are.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                        Depends on how far away they are.
                        Too many women in my office. the only thing capable of escaping the black hole in my wallet is the moths
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I bet my one against your... how many are you up to now?
                          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Hmmm...if I'd have to guess what they mean, I'd say that forming of the matter into disk is the result of magnetic interaction, but the primary thing that causes the pull/fall of matter into black hole is still gravity.

I guess we'll wait and see...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              They've been presuming that accretion (sucking in of matter from the black holes disk) is mainly gravitational and therefore a result of warped spacetime. If accretion is not primarily gravitational but is primarily magnetic then a reworking is in order.

This occurs at much larger scales as well. Most astrophysicists now belive that the first step in galaxy formation is the birth of a supermassive black hole, some with a density of many millions of solar masses. This acquires a huge accretion disk, some of which gets sucked in forming a quasar and polar jets.

Eventually the radiation pressure pushes the outer parts of the quasar disk away from the black hole, starving its quasar and turning off the jets. At this point the rest of the proto-galaxy settles down and it becomes what we are more familiar with.

Even so; at the heart of a galaxy a monster sleeps, just waiting for some gas cloud or star cluster to come near enough to turn the quasar back on.

Our Milky Way and Andromeda included. In fact ours lit up just a bit a few years ago.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Ah! Now I understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X