General questions about SVCD, et.al.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General questions about SVCD, et.al.

I was recently introduced to the VCD family of encodings by way of Dr Mordrid's post in the "What audio codec to use with DivX ?" thread (I don't visit the DV forum too often ... yet). I have a number of questions and I'd appreciate your answers or links to relevant information. I checked out the VCDHelp site yesterday as well as the TMPEGenc site. I noticed a link to http://www.vcdhelper.com/ in a thread here and on Google but the site doesn't seem to be currently active: Is that the site currently named at VCDHelp (as above)? Here are my VCD questions:

What XSVCD encoder do you recommend? Are there any direct VCD encoders or is the stream always converted from another streaming format? Do you like/recommend the TMPGEnc converter? What audio encoder do you recommend with XSVCD? Would you consider Nero to be the best Win98/W2K VCD burning SW? I'm initially interested in archiving TV from an analog NTSC satellite signal. I would subsequently be interested in burning TV from digital BUD satellite (MPEG-2) and then original content from DV (such as a digital 8mm camcorder).

Thanks.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

/\
    (
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If you want some info on creating SVCD's then look at go.to/doom9

This is actually a DVD ripping site, but have some good info relating to MPEG encoding etc.

I'd have to recommand CCESP for SVCD *video* encoding, it rocks, but you need SSE (PIII, Cel2, Duron, Athlon etc - won't work with PII, Celeron etc). Audio encoding with CCE is screwed... Use toolame to convert your PCM WAV to MPEG1 layer 2 audio and mux with BBMPEG 1.24b17/18.

Nero 5 is good for buring SVCD's. Had a few troubles with 5.5 myself. VCDImager also seems to work well... What you gonna be playing the SVCD's on? The above combo plays great on Pioneer 525

Comment

Thanks, I finally get a response. I'll check out your site and info. AFA playback, I hope to use my PC, specs below ...

------------------
        • ASUS P2B-S Rev 1.03, PIII 850MHz, Award ACPI BIOS v1013, 256 MB RAM Mushkin PC150
        • Two 9.1 GB Quantum Atlas 10K 9SCA Ulta160s
          mounted in inClose Mobile Dock PMD-96U3-SCA removable trays,
          one loaded with W2K AS and the other loaded with Win98 v4.10.1998
        • MYLEX FlashPoint RAID+ UW (BIOS v2.02N) running RAID 0 on two 9.1 GB IBM Ultrastar 9ES (DDRS-39130 U2W 68-pin) drives (Win98 only)
        • Third IBM Ultrastar 9ES formatted with FAT32 for sharing files between OSes
        • Diamond MX300 sound card, MX25 S/PDIF output in waiting
        • Matrox Millennium G400 Max Dual Head - English
        • NEC 5FG monitor
        • Logitech MouseMan Wheel
        • Plextor PX-W1210S CD-RW and NEC Multispin 3x CD
        • 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
        • US Robotics 56K Voice FaxModem Pro
        • Pioneer DVD-303S SCSI
        • Note--All SCSI devices (except disk drives on RAID) are connected to onboard AIC7890 U2W SCSI

... ^ΒΆ@/\/\

Comment

Working...
        X