Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast network without UTP

Hello,

A simple question: how can one get the fastest network without using a UTP cable?

The alternatives I see are either wireless or Powerline Netgear, up to 85 Mbps.

We need to go from a ground floor to the first floor (or from 1st to 2nd floor for the Americans ). The network would be used to connect a TV with ethernet with a PC, as to allow photoviewing. According to the manual, p. 50 (this wouldn't be the TV, but one with the same technology), 802.11a would allow for some wireless connectivity, but can it be better?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Along these lines: if I were to go for 802.11a, and multiple network connections are needed (e.g. TV, decoder, net radio tuner, ...), do I have to equip all of them with a wired -> 802.11a bridge?

Or can I put a wired router (or even hub) point, in combination with a single wired -> 802.11a bridge? (or one of those wireless game adapters: they convert wired consoles to wifi consoles, so that might do the trick)

Which of these would be better?

Thanks!

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 15 June 2006, 05:34.
    pixar

Comment

You can use a hub/ switch on a wireless bridge, infact some come with a built in switch. But to be honest, a cable would be a much more efficient method. Ethernet Over Power may not work if the floors are on different phases (circuits).

A cable is easy to run and will likely be the cheeper option providing from 10 to 10000mb depending on you hub/ switches and cable.
      Last edited by Enak; 16 June 2006, 01:18.
      Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

I would advise against wireless. Try powerline (though that's not really cheap), but be sure you can return the adaptors in case it doesn't work.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I just read more on 802.11n... It claims up to 200 Mbps, and given the fact that the distance to be overcome is not that huge, it might not have to fall back. If I place the hub where the cable modem is, I only have 1 wall to cross for the TV, and one floor for the PC.

As the configuration isn't for immediate deployment, it could be best to wait.

We currently have a cheap netgear powerline solution to connect the digital TV box with the cable modem, and while it works, I have the impression the speed is very low. The PC is at the moment not connected to those, as there is no need (cable modem is only for digital TV, not for internet access).

az: Why would you advise against wireless?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I find it to be relatively unreliable and slow.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hmm, I haven't had much issues (both at workhome and in the office)...

Jörg
              Last edited by VJ; 16 June 2006, 05:12.
              pixar

Comment

Also with enternet over powerline, the speed... well it also has the problem of noice, so the speed is often not much better than using Wireless over the same area instead.

At least with my two SMC EZ Connect 85 Mbps Powerline
                I can optimally get 20mbit.

JD
                Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Yes, we have the 14 Mbps netgear thingies (installed by the digital TV installators), and while I can't measure its bandwith, it feels quite slow (so I doubt we'll reach that speed).

It is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards wireless (802.11n when it comes widely available), but perhaps there are other solutions I'm unaware of.

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X