D(H)ell with blinking orange power indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D(H)ell with blinking orange power indicator

Well I got another Dell that just blinks its normally green diod orange as soon as you conect power to the psu

Nothing happens when you try to start it with the powerbutton.

Anyone that has a clue on whats going on? (before I start ripping it apart )

It's a dell dimension 4600
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Isn't a blinking powerled usually an indication of the standby mode?

If so, it would appear to be stuck in standby. I think the same occurs when the reset button is stuck (I had this once , upon removing the front panel, the reset button went 'POINNGGGG' and was shot through the room ), so check for that and check the voltage lines...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It doesent have a reset button. obviusly Dell thinks that their computers never lock up so they remove the reset button
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Oh yes... true... forgot about that...

I once had a monitor with a blinking power led. The store said it was in power save, but the monitor didn't support it. Turns out some capacitors were blown.

So if it is anything similar, it could have to do with the power supply or a damaged mainboard...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

a new PSU made it boot after removing the vidcard (this model has an onboard)

Now it doesent want to aknowledge its hdd

aghhhh...I hate Dell

Comment

For some inane reason the bios had decided to set all hdds to OFF

Comment

Could it be a bios-battery issue?

I know PC's behave oddly when the bios battery doesn't work anymore (they lose time, and Dells automatically boot into bios when the time is not set).

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

/me busts out my premier Dell support account...

er... I need the make and model, and look on the back and let me know if the model has diagnostics LEDs (four green/yellow lights). Most modern Dell's have them, and they are rather useful. As for Mr. Amber Blinking power LED:

If the power light is blinking amber— A device might be malfunctioning or might be incorrectly installed.
                Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see "Memory" for module installation procedures).
                Remove and then reinstall any cards (for installation procedures, see "Adding and Removing Parts" for your computer type).
                Remove and then reinstall the video card, if applicable (for installation procedures, see "Adding and Removing Parts" for your computer type).
                If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Not very helpful. Diagnostic LEDs would pinpoint the problem better, if available.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  /me busts out my premier Dell support account...

er... I need the make and model, and look on the back and let me know if the model has diagnostics LEDs (four green/yellow lights). Most modern Dell's have them, and they are rather useful. As for Mr. Amber Blinking power LED:

If the power light is blinking amber— A device might be malfunctioning or might be incorrectly installed.
                  Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see "Memory" for module installation procedures).
                  Remove and then reinstall any cards (for installation procedures, see "Adding and Removing Parts" for your computer type).
                  Remove and then reinstall the video card, if applicable (for installation procedures, see "Adding and Removing Parts" for your computer type).
                  If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Not very helpful. Diagnostic LEDs would pinpoint the problem better, if available.
                  The dell is leaving the building

As I said in post #5, after replacing the PSU it booted

As for the diagnostic lights: they never turned on untill it actually started

Just the powerled flashing Amber

after doing somne searches it seems that PSU failure is common on this dell model

Oh well, more money for me

Comment

Yup, seen plenty of Dell power supplys, particularly on the Optiplex GX270 series now where they work for a while and start the amber flash. Its from the power supply shutting down due to the system components trying to draw more than the supply can handle at startup. From what I've read, the root cause is bad capacitors in the power supply which limit its ability to handle inrush/transient current spikes on the load.

Comment

Fortunatley this dell model didnt use an alternat pinlayout for the ATX power socket

Some other dell's do

Comment

Working...
                      X