Stupid Networking Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Networking Issue

OK we just got done changing our IP addresses at work. We have all our workstations setup with static IP addresses and our network is set up on Cisco switches/routers, which we also changed the IP addresses on also (orignally was 192.178.x.x to 192.168.x.x).

The issue we are now having is that when we browse out using Network Neighborhood, we keep getting a workgroup not accessible error. We can ping other computers and find other computers by searching for their names, but cannot see them via network neighborhood. To further complicate things, we can browse out once in a great while over network neighborhood, but then we get that workgroup not accessible error after refreshing the network a couple times looking for more workstations. We can attach a group of workstations via a hub that isn't connected to any switches or routers and it works fine that way.

Any ideas?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

subnet issues?
    master browser clashes?
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

What kind of Cisco switch/router is it? Can you send me the config?
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

oh and the topology as well. Let's work with two hosts to keep things simple. I need both hosts ip address+subnet mask, which ports they are on and the cisco config.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

You could have setup the PC's on two or three different VLAN's without any routing established between them, knowing you have Cisco equipment.

Also the PC's may be configured with incorrect subnet masks, ensure that everything is set to 255.255.255.0 assuming the subnet used is a /24.

Also the routing protocol or topology as Helavitia asked, may make a difference.

Is the router interface facing the internal network configured for .1? i.e. your computers default gateway should be the routers interface IP address in most cases 192.168.x.1 /24

You may want to check your WINS and DNS servers if they exist on the network as well and make sure they are properly configured with the new subnet.

I assume you are running one big flatnet?

Regards,
          Elie

Comment

Also the routing protocol or topology as Helavitia asked, may make a difference.
            Only so I know which ports the hosts are connected to and I can look at those ports configs.

Comment

Some more info:

The routers are only set for one vlan and each router/switch has its own IP address. IE switch 8 would have the IP address 192.168.27.8, if I recall correctly

Each workstation is assigned an IP address according to its Workstation number i.e.: Workstation 35 has the IP address 192.168.27.135

Yes everything is one big flat network with no subnetting.

Our topologly is slightly retarted, our switches go vertical instead of branching out...I wasn't around when that happened.

The routing protocol for the routers/Switches is the standard Cisco protocol...the name is escaping me at the moment and I'm at home.

The default gateway is set to 192.168.27.1, but I'm not sure if anything is using that IP address

The DNS server is 192.168.27.98, which is Server 1 IIRC.

The werid thing is that everything worked fine before changing the IP addresses, we didnt touch anything else besides some of the host files on the workstations that had them.

Another clue, if this means anything, is we can hard reset the main switch, start getting workstations when browsing network neibourhood, then all of a sudden we get the error that we cant browse the workgroup, as if it hits a computer that totally screws up everything

Comment

You are probably using RIP as the routing protocol or maybe IGRP? But why are you using a routing protocol if you have one big flat network?

Based on the last clue, maybe you have a bug in the cisco code? Try clearing the CAM table and see if it fixes the problem. The CAM table is the place where all of the mac addresses learned dynamically, are stored. If you could post the config of one of the switch/routers, that would help a lot. I'm assuming that you are using 255.255.255.0 with each IP address?

Comment

Well its not a networking issue..it looks like we are having an issue with one of our workstations screwing up something. We have 90-95% of all the work stations taken apart and put away and the network works fine with just a couple of the development/database work stations set up now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
                    master browser clashes?

i want to be the master browser!
                    /meow
                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                    Asus Striker ][
                    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...