No announcement yet.

What am I missing with this PC problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing with this PC problem?

A friend has this PC that is working perfectly fine. Asrock VM800, Sempron 3000+, Maxtor 200GB, Linksys PCI WiFi adaptor, 512MB PC3200, XP Pro. The drive was partitioned 160/40 and a previous 20GB drive was in there as slave.

Turned out the OS s/n was wrong (ahem!), and there was evidence of a virus, so I reformatted C:, did a complete reinstall with the correct s/n and everything was fine.

I gave the machine back and the next day he's giving me tales of lockups and reboots. I hadn't used the mobo CD so told him to install the 4in1s, K8 and gfx drivers from there. This allegedly improved matters some, but not totally.

He brought the machine back again, I found disk errors in the event log for the old 20GB so removed it, reformatted and reinstalled (OS now assigned D:, but no biggy). This time I used the mobo CD for the cpu and gfx, and everything was perfectly fine. Had the machine on for 3/5 hours, lots of cold & warm reboots and everything was lightning fast and rock solid.

He takes is away again and within 5 minutes of turning it on is having problems:

"I connected up the computer, and switched on. It booted up fine (and quickly) so I opened up my account, and went to Control Panel ... so far so good. Control Panel opened up and I switched to traditional view, which loaded fine. I then clicked on 'Users' and everything froze up, with the hour glass showing, but nothing else going on. After about a minute it rebooted. From then on it goes as far as the Windows XP screen, then, after about 5 sec of that reboots again, and keeps going through the same cycle over and over again."

I tell him to check everything is seated, fans speeds, voltages etc and this is the reply:

"I have poked, prodded, wiggled, etc, etc, and could see nothing that appeared loose, except the leads that I assume came off the old hard drive which were floating in the ether, and another which comes from the power supply, and is tucked just under the CD drives, but doesn't appear to have anywhere to go.
    All three fans are working.
    I went into BIOS and the Hardware welfare (I think that is what it calls itself) says:
    CPU temp 40C
    M/B temp 36C

CPU fan speed 3090 RPM
    Chassis fan speed N/A

Vcore : 1.447V
    +3.30V : 3.435V
    +5.00V : 5.229V
    +12.00V : 12.387V"

He says nothing else is plugged in. He's using a different k/b, mouse and monitor, but that is all.

What could I be missing? He knows to treat the machine gently.
    FT.

lets keep it simple; comp work 100% fine at your place but acts up when at his place. this tells us to look at what the differences are.

1.kbd
    2. mouse
    3. monitor
    4. Electricity

the chances of 1 and/or 2 causing the issue are slim. chances of number 3 causing the issue are slightly more than 1 and 2.

now number 4... bad grounding, under voltage, over voltage, unstable/unsteady power. Does he have a UPS? if yes does it have a stabilizer? if yes is the monitor plugged into it too?
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I'd do a complete virus scan just to be on the safe side.
      What about dust accumulation? (caused problems for me in the past)
      Is the gfx card overheating? Is there a utility you can get to check the gfx card's temp and fan speed?
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Can he boot into safe mode? If so, disable rebooting upon bluescreen, so that you can see the BSOD. I forgot where this option was, though.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
          Can he boot into safe mode? If so, disable rebooting upon bluescreen, so that you can see the BSOD. I forgot where this option was, though.
          on XP under system properties then advanced, startup and recovery uncheck auto restart
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Ta.

@LLC: Nothing unusual about power, but I have suggested plug it in where his other PC is (another room, another floor)
            @Zokes: Virus is v. unlikely - fresh install, latest sophos. Integrated graphics, only 6 months old and fairly clean.
            @az & Dil: I'm probably getting the machine back tomorrow morning, so will try that then.

Cheers,

T.
            FT.

Comment

We have some Dells here that are kickass servers, but they will NOT run correctly unless you boot off if their install CD, allow it to patch your W2K install CD, and then automate the install.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Maybe there's a problem with the ram? Maybe the WiFi card is causing problems?
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

One time when I was in a similar situation, I ran memtest and noticed errors. I upped the voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 and all my problems went away.
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Good point, I'd do a memtest to make sure it isn't the memory.
                    Something else I'd think of is his internet/network connection, if it's set on auto, it tries to find the network, starts thinking (the hourglass) and either he forces the pc to respond till it hangs or there's something with the equipment as Zokes said.
                    Last edited by Admiral; 14 June 2006, 22:07.

Comment

I tested with the 10/100 nic and the wifi card. His wifi network uses the same configuration as mine. Browsing was slow when I first swapped from the 10/100 to the WiFi but perfectly fine after a reboot. Will certainly do another memtest.
                      Last edited by Fat Tone; 15 June 2006, 02:00. Reason: typo
                      FT.

Comment

OK, so I've had a look this morning.

Removing the Wifi card makes no difference.
                        If booting into windows, the beads scroll across under the logo twice and it reboots. If I try safemode, the screen fills with driver loading messages and then reboots. The last line mentions gagp30kx.sys so I tried plugging in an agp card - no difference. Have tried a complete CMOS reset - no difference. Checked CMOS battery (fine) because there appeared to be changes that my mate says he didn't make.

It passes memcheck no problem.

I've confirmed the above +5V and +12V readings with a DVM.

Next I'm gonna pull the HDD out and do a complete A/V scan on both partitions.

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!
                        FT.

Comment

Do a voltage reading on him, maybe he somehow interferes with the PC
                          j/k

Comment

hehe. He does wear sandals with socks and sports a large 'tache - does that tell you anything?
                            FT.

Comment

k, hope you get through with it soon...
                              I'm out of ideas, beside pulling out everything that isn't needed for booting and doing some more testing.

Comment

Working...
                              X