Alzheimers DNA vaccine possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alzheimers DNA vaccine possible

Works in mice (a common human analog). Monkeys are next. If it works in them human trials could start in ~3 years. Yes, it appears to be a therapeutic vaccine.

The result could signal the first preventative and restorative treatment for Alzheimer's without serious side effects, such as brain swelling

A DNA vaccine has successfully reduced the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease in mice. The result could signal the first preventative and restorative treatment vaccine for Alzheimer’s without serious side effects.

Alzheimer’s disease progresses as small proteins called amyloid beta (Ab) peptides are overproduced, forming plaques in the brain that interfere with its function. Memory loss and mental deterioration follow.

A vaccination approach – getting the immune system to clean up the plaques – has been considered the most promising way to tackle the disease, but its success has been limited, until now. In 2002, for example, the US pharmaceutical company Elan halted trials of a vaccine that raised antibodies against Ab peptides, after some patients suffered brain inflammation (see Key Alzheimer's vaccine trial abandoned).

The new vaccine is different because instead of using the Ab peptide itself to stimulate antibody production, it uses a stretch of DNA that codes for the Ab peptide, says Yoh Matsumoto, at the Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Japan, who led the research.
    Keep your fingers crossed....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 June 2006, 23:49.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Alzheimer’s is the one disease that truely scares me.
    fingers, toes, arms n legs crossed.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

More: a certain sugar also appears to be effective;

Much more work though....

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well hopefully this will come through pretty quickly. It's a bugger to live with even in it's early stages.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X