8TB in a full-size ATX case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8TB in a full-size ATX case

Via 50 x 200 GB 2.5" HDDs. So it's actually 10 TB, but you lose 2 TB to parity (pesky RAID arrays). Granted the case is a CM stacker, which a big arse case! But still...

I love the first comment about the article:
    Finally a computer with enough storage space to install Vista!
    Now that would be one wicked cool NAS. Enough to store a large collection of DVDs and HD content. drools...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

*twitch!* factor 5!!!

that is awesome. you can really 'enlighten' someone with that thing
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Seems like an expensive way to do it, when you could use 13 750GB 3.5" drives to get the same capacity, at about 2/3 the price. You'd probably save on controllers too, since you'd only have ~1/4 the number of devices. Not sure how much power that would use though...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I hate to see the cabling in that case.....
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Looks like my coolermaster case I have
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
            I hate to see the cabling in that case.....
            Fortunatley the stacker does NOT have a plexiglass window
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Cabling's fine, I'm sure. If they're hot-swapped like that, they're probably flush against a custom PCB backplane.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                Seems like an expensive way to do it, when you could use 13 750GB 3.5" drives to get the same capacity, at about 2/3 the price. You'd probably save on controllers too, since you'd only have ~1/4 the number of devices. Not sure how much power that would use though...
                Or replace all 50 HDD's with a 750GB models and end up with 37.5TB case!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

go on someone price it up
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                    Or replace all 50 HDD's with a 750GB models and end up with 37.5TB case!
                    that would not fit, as the 50 hdds are all 2.5" drives, where the 750GB drives are 3.5"
                    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                      that would not fit, as the 50 hdds are all 2.5" drives, where the 750GB drives are 3.5"
                      *SLAPS FOREHEAD* D'uh! And it was so obvious too.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                        If you read the article, the box is to showcase data center storage solutions more than anything. The drives are 4200 RPM, but only operate at 1.6 W max, while a 750 GB operates at 9.3 W (80 W vs. 120 W). So while they wouldn't make great desktop drives, if you're just pushing huge chunks of data in a massive RAID array, they would be fantastic (you are after all spreading the data across 50 drives, so it can be retrieved in huge chunks).
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                        X