Japanese food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese food

I get asked from time to time, about local food.
    *not the sort you get in resturants, but daily local at home type food.

well after 6 years, I finally found a decent site in english that isn't trying to sell me something.

50代を迎えても、女性が健康的に美しくなるために役立つレシピと読みもの。管理栄養士監修のレシピはカロリー・栄養価つき。

And that is the sort of food in daily life here.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Several of them are on our household menu as well. Nice to see my old recipes are still pretty much current.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

it's worth noting that most of those are kyoto style, there are of course regional differences, as well as per family differences
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yup....some of those regional differences (mainly use of shichimi) are similar to those between Maine smoked salmon and that served in New Orleans

We have an excellent Japanese steakhouse in the Detroit area. It's actually has two sides; Cantonese/Szechuan and Teppan-yaki. Years ago the owner went to Japan and brought back severeal excellent chefs, and it shows

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 June 2006, 17:48.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've been making my own version of Oyaku Donburi for a few years now and recently learned how to make Tonkatsu (although I prefer chicken).

When I went to university there was a ramen soup place near where I lived. They made their own ramen noodles which were thick and slightly curled. Anyone know where I could buy noodles like that? The only ramen noodles I could find at the Asian market are the wide, flat ones.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

There's an Asian market here that actually has some pretty decent ramen-style noodles. They also have a nice supply of sushi ingredients, which the wife has been delighted with.

These recipes shall be put to good use
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Have you tried using the round noodles in instant ramen packs? Toss the 'soup' mix though 40-50 cents/pack. I'd also look locally for chuka soba.

Hormels noodles info page;

Also: http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index...&Category=1394

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 June 2006, 18:35.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The noodles in the ramen packs are a decent substitute, and given the price when buying them in bulk, tossing the soup mix included doesn't even require additional thought. They're much healthier using your own soup mixture anyhow (within reason of course).

I do have to say, be careful at some Asian markets with Japanese branded food/ingredients - it's not always what you're expecting. I've run across Korean and Vietnamese of those masquerading as the former. Chinese I can partially see given some of the similar ingredients and dishes, but the other two are uniquely not Japanese. Saying that having grown up eating what many a friends' mothers had prepared (of the non Japanese persuasion).

Comment

Hmmm Jap food..
                  I love jap food...*droolz*

Comment

Tonights TV snack;

Just made a batch today for lunch

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The wife says she is coming over

Comment

one for Dr. Mordrid, one for Jesterzwild, one for the wifey and one for GuchiGuh

Comment

Love most Japanese food, especially miso soup. Not too keen on sushi or wasabi, though. Love those chunks of raw tuna but daren't use local tuna (parasites!). The problem is that I can't get ingredients here. There is one Japanese restaurant in Larnaca but it is HORRENDOUSLY expensive and not genuine. For the price of one sushi, I could get a full meal with wine for two in any other restaurant.
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

mmmm sashimi.

I can get slabs of tuna for about $5 for 200g~300g at times. - might not sound like a lot, but with a little soy, and wasabi, with other things, its more then enough to enjoy
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

I luv Sashimi!!!
                              Salmon is my god.
                              Toro is something I am yet to try! Any comments Sasq?

Comment

Working...
                              X