ice skating is dangerous ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice skating is dangerous ;)

Fell backwards and did something called a radial fracture near elbow on right arm. Anyone have an idea how long it takes to fix.

I have no idea, but it sounds painful

When I lived in Hawaii, we wouldd go to the ice skating rink a lot just to get out of the sun. Wearingshorts were common practice. One day I fell and my mom ran over my knee with her skate. Sliced the skin wide open adn I was bleeding everywhere on the ice. They btterfly stitched it at the rink and I went home. I probably should have gotten stitches, but never did. I still have the scar.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia

When I lived in Hawaii, we wouldd go to the ice skating rink a lot just to get out of the sun. Wearingshorts were common practice. One day I fell and my mom ran over my knee with her skate. Sliced the skin wide open adn I was bleeding everywhere on the ice. They btterfly stitched it at the rink and I went home. I probably should have gotten stitches, but never did. I still have the scar.
      Clint Malarchuk has you beat:

(Not for the weak of heart)

Comment

Yikes! Makes me cringe just to think about it.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well it depends on how high the fracture is, and but I assume that it was a proximal uncomplicated radius fracture, if not involving the head of the of the radius, then its usually 2-3 weeks. With a dorsal plaster splint.

JD
          Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

More like 4-6 weeks with radial head/neck fractures. If avascular necrosis sets in then things get 'complicated'. This can happen in up to 10% of radial head/neck fractures.

About 30% of elbow fractures in adults occur in the radial head. Children usually break the radial neck.

Seen at least 3 injuries like Chris Malarchuk's. One didn't make it.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 June 2006, 13:09.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

What's avascular necrosis? When i saw the xray they were using a hp xw6300 and a barco b/w screen. I could see a crack across what I suppose would be the neck i.e. a little way away from the round bit at the end. But looked pretty straight. I have a half plaster on which is quite heavy. Hope it isnt putting pressure on the joint

Comment

AKA: osteonecrosis, aseptic necrosis or ischemic necrosis.

Some radial head/neck fractures don't heal because of compromised circulation (hence: avascular). The bone dies (necrosis) then the fun starts trying to fix it.

Risk factors: injury (natch), alcohol use, steroid use, sickle cell etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 June 2006, 14:47.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia

I had a similar injury (not quite so bad) and all they could do at the hospital was butterfly stitch it. The skin on the leg is stretched often so stitches don't stay in very well.
                  Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Radial arm fracture??
                    I belive you can fix that with a radial arm saw
                    j/k, hope your recovery goes well.
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                    X