PDA

View Full Version : Public Beta2 of Vista out

The PIT
8th June 2006, 09:04
However servers are swamped. :(

Jammrock
8th June 2006, 09:21
You can just get the key from the site, and then grab the ISO from your prefered torrent like network.

DentyCracker
8th June 2006, 10:23
You can just get the key from the site, and then grab the ISO from your prefered torrent like network.
I already had it installed with an illegal key.
Got a legal key and activated it this am.
Not too bad but wireless network driver craps out in low signal conditions

The PIT
8th June 2006, 10:24

Don't use torrent.

lowlifecat
8th June 2006, 11:53
servers really are swamped. sheesh.

Kooldino
8th June 2006, 11:56
Which servers? Is microsoft just handing it out for free?

Jammrock
8th June 2006, 16:37
Yes. It's a time expiring version of Vista B2 that you can download for free or order a DVD for a shipping fee:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

Scroll down to the bottom. You need a Passport or Windows Live! ID to download it, and you have to register/activate within 15 days or it shuts down ... or you can puruse certain places on the net that may have work arounds ;)

Your key is emailed to you after your register, and also put up on a printable web site.

Mehen
8th June 2006, 20:56
dloading now, 600kb/sec

The PIT
8th June 2006, 23:21
Still to busy

GT98
9th June 2006, 14:57
Still hammered as of 6:35 EST

Mehen
9th June 2006, 17:32
well, it got to 84% and then stalled :(

lowlifecat
9th June 2006, 18:11
downloaded and burned it yesterday. yet to install it though. worried it might toast my xp64 install

Jammrock
9th June 2006, 20:12
downloaded and burned it yesterday. yet to install it though. worried it might toast my xp64 install
As long as your drive is partitioned (and you'll need at least 20 GB, but I would recommend 50 GB minimum) you'll be fine. I do multiple OS boots all the time, including WinXP and Vista. Vista uses a completely new boot manager, too. No more boot.ini. You have to run a command prompt or GUI in Vista to change boot prefs.

lowlifecat
9th June 2006, 21:15
unfortunatly i only got 2 HD, 1 with XP pro and the other with XP64. can't find my xp64 CD to remove it and i dont wanna install vista on the same partition.

gotta dig through my boxes for that stupid CD.

thanks for the advice :)

Jammrock
10th June 2006, 06:40
how big are the drives? you can always repartition with somnething like partition magic.

agallag
10th June 2006, 07:06
I have 3 40GB HDs for OSes in my machine, and one 160GB for data storage. Currently running XP Pro, XP X64, and Vista B2, all with no problems. Vista is obviously not done yet, but it looks fairly decent so far...

lowlifecat
10th June 2006, 08:03
how big are the drives? you can always repartition with somnething like partition magic.

Prim is 250 with ~100gb free. sec is 160 with ~ 30gb free.

me thinks the easiest thing to do would be to transfer important stuff to the primary and re-format the secondary. i'm not really impressed with XP64 and am coming to the conclusion that 64bit computing is a gimmick.

i've done plenty of multi OS systems, but this is my system and am nervous about trashing it.

quick story: way back in history, Spiraldragon decided (i might have encouraged him) to install winNT 5 beta on our NT 4 workstation (the one we used for a/v editing) on the nuke/test drive. w00sh, was that ever a mistake :dead: :dead: :dead:

needless to say, he spent quite a bit of time rebuilding the system (sorry SP).

I've read some reviews of vista beta 2, most concluded it was a tricked up (and slower) version of XP.

agallag
10th June 2006, 08:34
64 bit is certainly not a gimmick, it's just not really required on the average desktop at this time. Using it on a SQL or Exchange server that has 8GB+ of RAM, it makes an ENORMOUS difference. I'm sure on high end workstations it's a big benefit as well. If you're just running a home office or gaming machine with 1-2GB RAM, it's really not necessary.

Jammrock
10th June 2006, 20:17
What agallag said. 64-bit has it's uses, but WinXP 64-bit is so under supported it's not worth it. MS claims that they are working with their vendors to make all Vista ready and Vista pre-installed system 64-bit processors with 64-bit Vista. This will supposedly get software makers to start coding for 64-bit more, thus getting the code more optimized. Plus, Vista will eventually need more than 4 GB of RAM To run decently :)

GT98
12th June 2006, 12:09
Well I finally started downloading it sunday morning...at 2800KBps ;) (have a month trial of my cable company new speed offer of 30/2 :D) but it ****ed up some how and I had to re download it

What are the problems of running the 64bit verison vs 32 bit verison? Can I still use Office and play games? I know there are some compatibilty issues..but what are they?

Jammrock
12th June 2006, 12:43
Drivers mostly. 32-bit drivers won't work, so there must be 64-bit compiled drivers for each device.

It's rare that at an app won't work. 32-bit runs near native in XP 64, and most test show little to no performance difference between running 32 vs. 64.

GT98
12th June 2006, 12:47
Drivers mostly. 32-bit drivers won't work, so there must be 64-bit compiled drivers for each device.

It's rare that at an app won't work. 32-bit runs near native in XP 64, and most test show little to no performance difference between running 32 vs. 64.

Ah ok that works...I've been hearing problems with SATA and Vista..anyone running across this?

I think I'll install it tonight

GT98
12th June 2006, 18:05
Holy Crap Vista sucks donkey nuts on my system. I can't even get it to stay up longer then 5 minutes and it crashed several times during install. I'm not sure if its my system (was priviously ****ing up big time before I reinstalled it last week then it was fine) or what. I'm going to try to 32bit verison of Vista to see if that works

Elie
12th June 2006, 19:56
I downloaded both versions 64 and 32 bit, will install the 32 bit version on my dual AMD MP 2000 system to see how it runs.

One thing I have to ask, can you just upgrade from WinXP or is it a complete new install?

Thanks,
Elie

Wombat
12th June 2006, 23:25
One thing I have to ask, can you just upgrade from WinXP or is it a complete new install?
I honestly don't know if you can do it, but I sure wouldn't call it an upgrade :)

GT98
13th June 2006, 05:26
well for whatever reason, the 32bit Verison of Vista works like a top with my system vs the 64 bit system that was lucky to stay up for 3 minutes or so after reaching the desktop :rolleyes:

agallag
13th June 2006, 07:13
well for whatever reason, the 32bit Verison of Vista works like a top with my system vs the 64 bit system that was lucky to stay up for 3 minutes or so after reaching the desktop :rolleyes:

Probably driver issues.

Elie, no upgrades for beta 2. Clean installs only.

Elie
13th June 2006, 08:25
ok thanks guys!

I will have to get another drive strictly for Vista

Helevitia
13th June 2006, 09:56
I'm getting ready to burn the iso to DVD. Does Vista natively install IDE and SATA drivers or do I need to find out if Asus has vista drivers for me?

Jammrock
13th June 2006, 10:02
Will work on all standard IDE/SATA controllers. I've installed it on my nForce 4 board without special drivers.

Helevitia
13th June 2006, 10:27
Excellent, thanks for the answer.

Helevitia
13th June 2006, 13:18
I jsut tried the install, but it can't see my raptors. Looks like a need a driver after all.

Helevitia
13th June 2006, 13:35
hmmm, anybody know where I can get promise vista drivers? I've looked at Asus's site, searched the web here and there, but no luck so far.

Helevitia
13th June 2006, 13:48
Can I use the WinXP 64-bit drivers?

GuchiGuh
13th June 2006, 21:45
Can you guys post some screenshots? :)

Jammrock
14th June 2006, 06:58
I would try the 32-bit XP drivers (assuming that's what you're installing, 64 for 64). It should work. I've had decent success getting XP drivers working on Vista.

agallag
14th June 2006, 07:25
Can you guys post some screenshots? :)
http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/
:p

Dr Mordrid
14th June 2006, 09:41
Yawn....

Dr. Mordrid

Technoid
14th June 2006, 10:11
Urgh, just read on that site that vista wont permit non signed drivers at all :(

If it really becomes reality its going to be a real pain in my @$$ :(

Helevitia
14th June 2006, 10:43
I would try the 32-bit XP drivers (assuming that's what you're installing, 64 for 64). It should work. I've had decent success getting XP drivers working on Vista.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot. How does the affect performance?

agallag
14th June 2006, 12:17
Urgh, just read on that site that vista wont permit non signed drivers at all :(

If it really becomes reality its going to be a real pain in my @$$ :(

Only the x64 version requires signed drivers. Not the 32 bit version.

Jammrock
14th June 2006, 12:30
Only the x64 version requires signed drivers. Not the 32 bit version.
I was going to say, I've used several unsigned drivers on the 32-bit platform.

MS is supposedly going to concetrate heavily on the 64-bit version of Vista. Most, if not all, new OEM systems will run Vista 64-bit.

VJ
22nd June 2006, 05:50
Anyone running Vista in VMWare?

I've now started a download, and will test it in VMWare (not risking my running system :)).
I've read that it should work, but that you need to partition the "drive" with something else (XP cd or whatever).

Jörg

agallag
22nd June 2006, 06:31
It works fine in VMWare. Just make sure you give it at least 384MB of RAM (512MB is better), and at least a 32GB virtual HD. You won't get the Aero interface, but everything else should work fine.

VJ
22nd June 2006, 06:39
True about the installprocedure (about partitioning), can it be done during the installation of Vista?

Jorg

VJ
22nd June 2006, 07:18
Oh, one more thing: can I install it on a PC that doesn't have internet access?

Jörg

agallag
22nd June 2006, 10:49
The partitioning can be done through the Vista installer. If it gives you an error that the drive isn't initialized (or something like that), just restart and try it again.

There's no need for internet access during the install, only if you want to activate.

VJ
23rd June 2006, 00:25
Ha, ok...
At the start of the installation, I found out that I need the VMWare driver disk... Not having internet, I couldn't continue then...

Internet access needed to activate... Well, I guess I can move the VM to a machine that has access to activate it. :)

Jörg

agallag
23rd June 2006, 13:19
What do you need the driver disk for? I've never needed that when installing in vmware.

VJ
23rd June 2006, 13:58
I am using the .iso file as the DVD drive. At the beginning of the installation, Vista reports it cannot find a suitable driver for the DVD drive, and stops. (I'm using VMWare Workstation 4.x)

Perhaps it would be easier to just burn the .iso to a disk... :)

Jörg

agallag
23rd June 2006, 14:55
There's your problem. Vista is only supported in Workstation 5.5 and up.

The PIT
24th June 2006, 04:09
Tried it at work wouldn't install with a fat32 primary drive in dual boot. Got it too install by disabling the first two drives but the install wouldn't finnish just rebooted all the time.
Anyone tried dual booting it with Linux????

VJ
25th June 2006, 06:27
There's your problem. Vista is only supported in Workstation 5.5 and up.
Oops... Well, Workstation 4.x has an option for Longhorn, which I used. :)

I haven't been following VM Ware closely: which of their products is now free, and does it work with that?

Jörg

Elie
25th June 2006, 15:13
I installed Vista on an AMD machine XP 2100 with 1GB ram and a wireless Dlink adapter.

Well everything works fine, a bit slow due to the G450 that I have, will change it to a newer card.

however I have one issue and another annoying one...

1-Dlink card DWL-520+ is not recognized, even if I installed the XP drivers from the CD, it's enabled and sees my wireless router and others in neighborhood, however when i want to connect to my network, it says unable to due to the adapter not responding.

Is there a wireless adapter that you know is supported under Vista?

2-The other annoying issue is the Secure user access control, everytime I open anything in control panel it pops up a message, saying would you like to continue etc. etc..
in the security center, how do I disable that?

Thanks,
Elie

Elie
25th June 2006, 18:52
ok issue number 2 solved :)
It's in the local security policies.

Cheers,
Elie

Elie
26th June 2006, 06:36
Anyone running wireless sucessfully with Vista?

And what wireless NIC do you recommend?

Thanks,
Elie

uberlad
26th June 2006, 08:38
I am running Wireless sucessfully with Vista at home.

the model is the

Kcorp KLG-530 - GOLD 108g + Wireless PCI Adapter

originally bought to match with my router but no longer running in 108 mode.

I had to find the XP drivers before it was recognised properly but it connects to my WPA protected network with no trouble.

Uberlad

COLD
26th June 2006, 16:30
BTW, Vista does not install on a SCSI drive and Adaptec only comment (web site) is that they have presently no drivers available. The funny part is that I could not found any mention about that fact in Vista's BETA documentation.

My standard drives are all SATA/EIDE but I still use SCSI drives for testing purposes (especially for BETA software). Time to pull out of my retired 20GB EIDE hard drive from the closet...

DC

lowlifecat
26th June 2006, 17:48
I installed Vista on an AMD machine XP 2100 with 1GB ram and a wireless Dlink adapter.

however I have one issue and another annoying one...

1-Dlink card DWL-520+ is not recognized, even if I installed the XP drivers from the CD, it's enabled and sees my wireless router and others in neighborhood, however when i want to connect to my network, it says unable to due to the adapter not responding.

Is there a wireless adapter that you know is supported under Vista?

Thanks,
Elie

are you running the 64bit vista?

i got two of those 520+ and have never been able to run them under XP64. i assume vista 64bit has the exact same issues with wifi drivers as XP pro64.

i did some extensive research into this a while back. Found out a certain Belkin chipset would work fine but it had to be a certain model number. I went to compusmart and found what i thought to be the exact wifi card, same model number and everything...

guess what, Belkin had released multiple versions of the card, with different chips but with the same model number. :mad: :mad: :mad:

apparently certain realtek wifi cards will work out of the box with XP64. i don't remember which model though. at this point i had given up on getting wifi to work with xp64. i really didn't need to buy a 4th wifi card.

Elie
26th June 2006, 18:09
are you running the 64bit vista?

i got two of those 520+ and have never been able to run them under XP64. i assume vista 64bit has the exact same issues with wifi drivers as XP pro64.

i did some extensive research into this a while back. Found out a certain Belkin chipset would work fine but it had to be a certain model number. I went to compusmart and found what i thought to be the exact wifi card, same model number and everything...

guess what, Belkin had released multiple versions of the card, with different chips but with the same model number. :mad: :mad: :mad:

apparently certain realtek wifi cards will work out of the box with XP64. i don't remember which model though. at this point i had given up on getting wifi to work with xp64. i really didn't need to buy a 4th wifi card.

Thanks!!

I will buy Linksys then and try it out.

Thanks,
Elie

lowlifecat
26th June 2006, 18:36
woah, slow down Elie. linksys is just as bad as dlink when it comes to 64bit drivers.

i know i said realtek in the above post, i got confused. i meant broadcom.

try this link
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=12022

also try a search of 'wifi 64bit'

Elie
26th June 2006, 20:27
I actually installed the 32 bit version of vista, I will only install the 64 bit when it's time I need to test with my HP Dual Opteron 275 machines.

Thanks for the link :)

Cheers,
Elie

GT98
27th June 2006, 11:22
Anyone running games under Vista? I tried putting on CFS3 from Microsoft and it didnt work...

ZokesPro
27th June 2006, 11:32
I don't get all this hype about Vista. I think that XP has proved to be stable and compatible enough to satisfy my needs and I'm really not looking forward to installing a beta OS that can possibly cause problems when XP runs just great.

But when it does finally come out, I'm going to wait till they release SP1 for it.

Jessterw
27th June 2006, 11:43
The hype exists for the same reasons it did for XP. It's Windows. It's something 'new'. There's also a certain segment of MS' userbase that still hopes they can do something right for a change/again.

Much like you though, I don't see the big deal. There's nothing about Vista for me to get even remotely excited about. Not to say it won't be a good Windows OS, but compared to everything else, it's just another Windows OS.

GT98
27th June 2006, 11:52
Only reason I'm getting it is I'm tired of dealing with MS Genune Software BS :p

ZokesPro
27th June 2006, 12:14
The hype exists for the same reasons it did for XP. It's Windows. It's something 'new'. There's also a certain segment of MS' userbase that still hopes they can do something right for a change/again.

Much like you though, I don't see the big deal. There's nothing about Vista for me to get even remotely excited about. Not to say it won't be a good Windows OS, but compared to everything else, it's just another Windows OS.
Yep, and with the Beta version out, there's a good chance that you'll run into problems, which for me personally, I want to avoid. Everything works A1 right now with XP and I've fine tuned it and it works just great, plus I have but one HDD and I don't want any down time if ever I decide to switch back. But yeah it's new and blah blah blah, but it doesn't have the hype that say Win95 had, or that XP had. :)

Jammrock
28th June 2006, 09:35
Anyone running games under Vista? I tried putting on CFS3 from Microsoft and it didnt work...
Run the game in compatibility mode if it doesn't work natively.

Kooldino
29th June 2006, 12:32

How about it's the biggest change in an MS OS since Win 3.1->Win95?

Jessterw
29th June 2006, 13:54
Hardly. It's definitely more of a change than any of the other 9x and NT codelines upgrades, but it's far from being the sort of change Win 3.1 to Win 95 was.

Yes, there has been a lot of code rewritten, but you're confusing rewritten with something other than just modified; they've optimized much of the code.

Yes, there are a lot of 'new' things in Vista that are directly tied into those rewrites and additions, but most have existed in one form or another, even if they weren't part of the baseline OS.

My point wasn't that Vista isn't a big leap from XP, but rather that there's nothing about that leap that excites me, the piques my interest. Frankly, it would take a lot for damn near anything coming out of MS these days to deserve my attention. That's not saying I don't think MS can do good things and that there aren't talented people there, because I truly believe MS in that regard has the potential to surprise us all (in a good way).

*shrug*

Technoid
29th June 2006, 14:35
What scares me is the huge jump in HW requirements :eek:

Elie
1st August 2006, 18:31
Update:

Today I purchased and installed a Linksys wireless G card in the vist 32bit machine and it worked flawlessly.
So it was the D-link all along, don't buy D-link if you want to run Vista beta 2.

This post is from the windows Vista machine! :)

Cheers,
Elie

Paddy
2nd August 2006, 11:42
I'm runnin it from VM workstation. Am I missing much?

agallag
2nd August 2006, 18:35
You're missing transparent window frames and Flip3D. Not much else to speak of.