X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversity fatigue?

TIME Magazine:

Has it become okay to exclude again?

Perhaps one of the most treasured of American rights is the freedom of association. This is the right to hang out with whomever we want, wherever we want. It's a complicated right, because when we hang out with "people like us," inevitably someone gets kept out. Where and how to draw the line is a question we all seem to be struggling with right now.

Black Jack, Mo., made national headlines late last month when it drew its firm line. An unmarried couple with three children tried to move into the house they had just bought. The house is zoned for single family residences—and the city decided this family does not fit their legal definition of family. The couple pleaded with the city council to change the law. The city said no, and intends to evict. When this news broke, many assumed Black Jack must be one of those white, religious conservative towns in the Bible Belt. But Black Jack turned out to be a suburb of St. Louis, and it’s 70% African American. Their enforcement of the zoning doesn't seem to be motivated by race or religion—just a genuine desire to preserve the pro-family environment.
    >
    >
    Nor should we assume this urge to withdraw is only a conservative tactic. In the state of Nebraska, the only black member of the state legislature is Ernie Chambers. Ernie is so liberal that a colleague in the legislature said, “Ernie sees racism when he pours his breakfast cereal.” But Ernie Chambers recently pushed through a new bill that carves Omaha’s school district into three—a black district, a white district, and a Hispanic district. He thinks this will protect black schools from being cheated of their fair share of bond proceeds. He also says black families should decide what black children are being taught. They think they’ll be better off taking care their own.
    >
    >
    People are willing to be tolerant, but past a certain point it feels like being ordered to eat the peas.
    >
    >
    It's clear people are tired of walking on eggshells, afraid to offend those with different beliefs, ideas, and lifestyles. It's grown exhausting, and they want their lives back. The idea of diversity seems to have worn out its welcome. It is now like a house guest who has stayed too long.

We don't want to lose what makes us "us." We're freezing up, right as our melting pot gets to the melting point, and our disparate identities are about to blur away. Can we as a society turn the heat back on without passions becoming so inflamed?
    All that work desegregating inthe 60's and folks of all varieties are re-segregating themselves all over again....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 June 2006, 18:15.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I hate Time magazine with a passion. People don't want to lose their identities.. they never have. DUH. Anyone with a brain can see this, and it's been this way forever. Just because some liberal newsrag finally admits that its mantra has gone unheard does not mean that this is news.

Why I hate Time:

Can we as a society turn the heat back on without passions becoming so inflamed?
    Same load of horseshit. End with a question that speaks to its presumed-to-be-brainwashed audience, looking for said zombies to save the day by concentrating real hard on being the same sort of insulated liberal do-gooder snobs they were in the sixties.

Comment

Just tell us what you think KvH

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ernie is so liberal that a colleague in the legislature said, “Ernie sees racism when he pours his breakfast cereal.”

That is not liberal. Watch the Southpark episode where there is the debate about changing the town flag - in the end of the episode you will find out what being a true liberal is.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

One thing about "diversity" that really does have me "fatigued" though, is trying to remember the politically correct name for each race (or sexual preference).
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Ok, so I know about this story because I read about it @ lukeford.com (not safe for work).

Don't bother visiting that site; it's a boring blog from some guy in the pr0n industry. And it's full of banner ads too.

I only went there following a link from a legitimate blog site regarding a story about David Duke (claiming that the pr0n industry was created by joos to undermine American family values). David Duke claimed that there was an interview posted @ lukeford.com that prove the existence of the jooish cabal (I couldn't find it). Anyway, they did have the story about Black Jack there and a day or two later they posted someone's emailed response.

Fayner Posts: This place Black Jack is so ass-backward it hurts to even think about it. They want to kick out all un-wed parents to keep their vision of what a family should be. Damn them...

Fayner,
            Love the site. Just wanted to give you some background info on Black Jack, MO.

Black Jack is a small, poor, high crime township in the suburbs of Northern St. Louis. The council's decision to prevent more than three people from living together unless related by "blood, marriage or adoption" is an attempt to change the town's environment, not some implementation of the Republican definition of a family. The hope is that by preventing a woman, her six children and her baby's daddy from making a home in the area a certain element of society will be made unwelcome in the town. Not to say that element is the black population as Black Jack is almost entirely black. I don't know about other cities, but in poor, high crime areas in St. Louis limiting who or how many people can live in one home has happened off and on for at least the last 30 years. To my knowledge this type of plan has never been successful, at least not for very long.

Jack,
            St. Louis, MO
            If anyone wants links to good pr0n sites then post your request in the forums.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I think:

a) Wrong forum.
              b) That article is really full of bull. Schmo already pointed out backgrounds to the Black Jack thing which the original author didn't, and which change the character of said eviction. That said, regulation like that is still quite stupid and IMHO it's also against freedom. I don't know what freedoms the USAnian constitution guarantees, but here, we have a freedom of choice of residence within the EU (as long as you're not a criminal, etc.). To construct from a city district's heavy-handed and stupid crime-reduction regulations and a hypocritical senator (or whatever) some kind of trend seems quite far-fetched at the very least.
              c) In response to Schmosef: free5.com - increment the number by one
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                All that work desegregating inthe 60's and folks of all varieties are re-segregating themselves all over again....

Dr. Mordrid

Segregation now would be a lot different from pre de-segregation segregation. ()

It's just like the womans movement.
                The pendulumn went to far and is now settling back to a more reasonable level.
                That does not mean it didn't need to be done.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                X